Xanax is indicated for the treatment of anxiety and other short term anxiety disorders which may result in insomnia due to excessive worrying. It can also be used in the treatment of panic disorder attacks because of its ability to slow down the central nervous system resulting in a calming and relaxing effect. You must check with your doctor before using Xanax because it is basically one of the stronger BZD (benzodiazepines) based drugs in the market.
The generic name of Xanax is alprazolamand based on clinical studies with dosages for adults reveal that it works fairly quickly with seemingly limited side effects. This is perhaps why this drug has become very popular with a number of people who experience anxiety and depression on a regular basis.
Because Xanax affects the central nervous system, it is recommended for short-term usage only. Long term medication can result in Xanax side effects that may not be completely associated with the management of anxiety and depression. Information about Xanax reinforces this usage as benzodiazepines have been recommended for supporting the treatment of anxiety and depression treatments on a short-term basis only.
Continued medication of Xanax in patients with anxiety and depression like any type of medication can result in common side effects. When you do experience Xanax side effects whether they are common or severe side effects, it is best to seek medical attention immediately for your safety and peace of mind. Here are some of the commonly reported side effects of Xanax:
1. Some patients reportsideeffects of excessive sedation. Remember that Xanax works on the central nervous system and results in calming and relaxing your body. This is perhaps why some patients feel extremely calm. It is also important to take note that the main ingredient of Xanax which is benzodiazepinesis known as a sedative medication. So when patients report side effects of excessive sedation this may only be the tail-end effect of the drug. A cause of concern though should be echoed if the feeling persists at which point you must consult a doctor for medical advice.
2. Continued medication can increase chances of memory problems. Usually long term use of sedative medication like Xanax can increase the effects of memory problems that may also lead to cognitive damage. What this means is that if you have not been using Xanax as recommended it can reduce your intelligence as well as your ability to concentrate or pay attention. Stopping the use of the drug does not necessarily guarantee that the Xanax side effects will go away or reverse its negative effects.
3. Other patients on Xanax report side effects of worsening depression. When you feel this side effect it is best that you seek medical attention right away because the dosage of alprazolam may be too strong for your system to handle. If this is the case your doctor can adjust the dosage accordingly. One thing to note about this side effect though is that it goes contrary to the medication of anxiety and depression disorders. This means that there is a possibility that the alprazolam is reacting with other food or drinks that the patient is injecting. For most part it is important to remember that this drug can result in dangerous side effects when mixed with alcohol. Since alcohol is also a depressant, side effects of Xanax worsening depression may be attributed to this on certain conditions.
4. One of the more commonly reported side effects of Xanax though is that it is addictive. Patients who have a history of drug abuse may want to inform their doctor before taking Xanax because instead of helping to manage anxiety and depression it may lead to drug abuse or addiction.The ability of alprazolam to relax and calm the body may be one of the reasons why this medication can be abused by some patients resulting in addiction.
5. Another one of the Xanax side effects reported is the potential development of Post-Traumatic stress disorders. There is a possibility that when you use alprazolam after traumatic or adverse events you can increase the effects of Post-Traumatic stress disorders. There is no clear explanation to this particular side effect of Xanax since it is supposed to relive anxiety and depression and not increase the effects.
6. For women one of the most common effects of Xanax is a change in the menstrual cycle. Clinical studies have shown that as much of 10% of women who participated in the clinical trial have experienced menstrual irregularities. This is one of the Xanax side effects that have been reported to extend for longer periods but have not been associated with any severe side effects or physical problems.
7. Common side effects of Xanax in patients are that it may result in drowsiness, dizziness, weight gain, or weight loss in some. Essentially, patients report side effects of sleepiness during the day or what can be classified as hypersomnia. The dizziness experienced by patients sometimes result in lack of coordination combined with a whirling sensation in the head. Sometimes, these Xanax side effects can result in a tendency of the patient to fall. The weight gain or weight loss Xanax side effects vary distinctly among patients depending on how the changes in appetite are manifested.
On the whole there may be other Xanax side effects that may be considered as severe side effects like severe allergic reactions for example. It is important to remember though that any medication can cause side effects when not used properly. So in order to protect yourself from Xanax side effects it is wise to
consult a doctor for medical advice before taking Xanax.It is a good rule to follow that you seek medical attention right away when Xanax side effects become too irritating or unbearable.