Detoxifying your body is important from time to time as this process eliminates any toxins that have accumulated over the months. But should you go on a diet and rely on lemon water alone to cleanse your system? For some health experts, going on a detox diet isn’t really necessary as drinking water can already help flush any harmful toxins inside of you. Starving yourself isn’t really a good idea because you are robbing yourself of the nutrients that your body needs in order to function properly. What then is the purpose of lemon water detox?
Although health experts are of two minds when it comes to detox cleanse, there are those who swear by the effects of drinking lemon water. Most drink this concoction early in the morning to gain its benefits but what are these advantages anyway?
Health Benefits of Lemon Water Detox
- Boosts the function of the digestive system. Lemon water contains acids that are similar to that in the stomach. This means that the juice itself is aiding in the digestion of the foods that you eat so that they will be processed properly before being redirected to the other organs in the digestive system. This is important for those who are suffering from bloating, acid reflux, and indigestion.
- Cleanses the urinary tract. Lemon juice is considered as a natural diuretic which goes to show that if you drink lemon water regularly, you will be able to cleanse your urinary tract. This can have an accumulated effect on your health as there will be fewer toxins left behind in your body that can cause health problems like urinary tract infection, digestive problems and the like.
- Reduces appetite. For those who are having a hard time losing weight, you should make a habit out of drinking lemon water on a daily basis. Not everyone knows that this drink can actually help curb one’s appetite. Truth be told, if you’re going to look at home remedies for weight loss you will find that one ingredient that keeps appearing is lemon. Lemons are effective in keeping your hunger at bay so you won’t be tempted to snack on bagels, donuts, or even chips in between meals.
- Improves breath. Bad breath affects a lot of people though only a handful will admit to it. If you don’t want to be embarrassed by the smell emanating from your mouth, try drinking lemon water. One reason behind this is that the lemon in the drink can help disinfect your mouth so any bacteria that thrive here will be eliminated.
- Helps repair skin. One of the little known advantages of drinking lemon water is that it can also help repair the skin. As it was mentioned before, the acid in the lemon contains plenty of antioxidants that are the ones responsible for flushing out any toxins in the body that are causing skin aging. Through detoxing, you are bringing back the natural beauty of your skin that can help you look more youthful.
These are just a few examples of benefits that many lemon water drinkers profess to experience but you cannot forget the downsides of the detox too. If you’ll be relying on this liquid alone for several days, you can cleanse your digestive system but you are putting yourself in a position where your body is being robbed of the nutrients it requires on a daily basis. Perhaps this drink can be incorporated into your diet once you get the go signal from your doctor. If you are under medication or have some digestive problems, you might want to ask your doctor if this detox plan is right for you.