No, marshmallow root tea is not made from those flurry sugary treats. It’s a beverage that’s out of the roots of the marshmallow plant, which are steeped in boiling water for several minutes. Drinking the resulting tea offers numerous health benefits, from putting an end to acid reflux to lowering the blood pressure.
The marshmallow plant is actually an aromatic herb that’s been used for thousands of years now in preventing as well as treating all sorts of health problems and medical conditions.
So is it related to those chewy goodies you reach for each time you want to whip up s’mores or a rich cup of hot cocoa? Many years ago, they were related — marshmallows used to actually contain marshmallow root to make them gelatinous, courtesy of the mucilage found in the said part of the herb.
Marshmallows of today, however, no longer rely on marshmallow root for them to attain their characteristic texture — their modern-day makers simply use gelatin.
Going back to marshmallow root, it’s something that can be easily obtained from many health food stores operating either on the internet or offline. Once you have it in your possession, you may chop up some of it and leave it steeping in a cup of boiling water for at least 10 minutes. After straining, you may start consuming it.
So what are the perks that come with the intake of marshmallow root tea? Here are some of them:
- Relieved acid reflux. Marshmallow root tea covers the inner lining of the esophagus, thus saving it from being irritated further by stomach acids that tend to back up.
- Eased sore throat. A cup of marshmallow root tea is very effective against a sore throat as it coats the inflamed area. You may also count on it if you have an itchy throat brought about by a cough.
- Normalized bowel movement. If you are prone to having constipation, you may consume a cup of marshmallow root tea on a regular basis as it has mild laxative properties.
- Dissolved kidney stones. Traditional healers know that marshmallow root has diuretic properties, and that’s why they recommend it in tea form to have those kidney stones dissolved.
- Purified blood. Similarly, the consumption of marshmallow root tea is recommended for the elimination of toxins and waste products that have accumulated in the blood.
- Lowered blood pressure. Thanks to the ability of marshmallow root tea to increase urine output, it may be used for managing high blood pressure, of course with a doctor’s knowledge.
- Relieved skin problems. Marshmallow root tea may also be applied topically. For many years now, it’s actually used for dealing with the likes of skin ulcers, abscesses, minor burns, and insect bites and stings.