For those who have a food hangover from their partying over the weekend or right after a long holiday, health experts recommend that a detox is in order to help reboot your system. The good news is that there are many ways to help restart your otherwise unhealthy system so you will feel refreshed, renewed, and ready to take on the day.
Here are some tips on how you can go on a detox the natural way.
- Start going green. Health experts recommend that you add a glass of green smoothie during your lunch and dinner to get the necessary nutrients plus more fiber into your system. Just combine some vegetables like broccoli, kale, carrots, spinach and others, some herbs like parsley, nutmeg, and cinnamon, a bit of fruit and protein and blend. This combination is far better than drinking green juice because of the fiber added to it. The best part is that the green smoothie is also packed with antioxidants.
- Drink plenty of liquids. Drinking plenty of liquids is one of the best ways for you to keep your liver, lymph nodes, colon, and kidneys operating 100%. These organs are the ones responsible for filtering the waste products that enter the body. However, don’t drink too much when you’re not thirsty but drink up to two quarts of liquid per day including a cup or two of coffee or your favorite tea. You will know if you are properly hydrated when you can get to pee every few hours with your urine being fairly clear.
- Always start your day with a healthy breakfast. You’ve probably heard a lot of health experts suggesting that you eat a healthy breakfast in the morning and they are right. Skipping breakfast will only make you eat more later because your body is lacking its much needed source of energy. Here are some suggestions on what you can have for breakfast: scrambled egg with some beans, Greek yogurt with your choice of berries, whole-wheat toast, or oatmeal with some unsalted nuts and cinnamon.
- Choose healthy snacks. It’s not surprising that you’ll be snacking in between meals especially when you’ve been doing a lot of work. But instead of snacking on chips, you should go for fruits, a single piece of chocolate, air-popped popcorn, or unsalted nuts.
- Stay away from certain types of food. Since you are on a detox, there are some types of food that you need to skip altogether as they can inhibit the full function of your organs. Foods that are made from rice and white flour, refined sugars, soda, meats that contain plenty of fats, and of course dairy except for nonfat yogurt and milk.
Going on a detox doesn’t have to be that difficult because there are some changes in your lifestyle that can help get your body reboot for better function. You don’t have to go on a detox diet just to get rid of those toxins in your system or skip eating anything at all. As long as you follow these tips, you’ll see some improvement in your overall health.