Having curly hair can speak volumes about your personality especially when you’re sporting those big curls that cascade beautifully around your face. However, as much as you wish that your curls remain the same without doing anything, you will need to practice proper hair maintenance in order to keep your curls looking amazing. You don’t really have to head to the salon to have your hair taken care of because there are plenty of curly hair hacks that you can do on your own in the comforts of your home.
For those who want to keep their curls naturally beautiful, these hacks are worth a try.
- Pineappling. If you want your curls to look gorgeous the following day, tie your hair high on your head but make sure that they are a bit loose. The name was coined on how high you can manage to tie your hair loosely with your curls cascading around you. Although this might feel weird for you, the results will be impressive.
- Apply conditioner. It’s understandable that you will be tempted to add conditioner from the roots of your hair all the way to the tips but if you have curly hair, the best approach would be the press and smooth technique. First you need to squeeze the conditioner from the midshaft all the way to the ends. Afterwards, you should run your fingers through so you can detangle them. One reason why this technique is better is because the cuticle for curly hair isn’t really smooth so you will have to smooth the conditioner in yourself. Once you have applied the conditioner, rinse with cool water so that your hair cuticle will be closed to keep the moisture trapped inside.
- Use apple cider vinegar. Washing your hair without shampoo is also referred to as co-washing. Curly hair is often dry and when you shampoo your hair, its natural oils tend to disappear. The best way to minimize the dryness of your hair or prevent products from building up is to use apple cider vinegar. After washing your hair with vinegar, you should apply conditioner afterwards to remove the scent of the vinegar while keeping moisture locked in.
- Twirl technique. For those with wavy hair, mastering the art of defining your waves is important. If you want to make those waves on your hair more prominent, you need to learn the twirl technique. While your hair strands are still dripping wet, make them go into waves by coaxing them away from your face. Use some defining gel to minimize the appearance of frizz while enhancing the waves of your hair.
- Dry with an old t-shirt. Another curly hair hack that you can try on your curly hair is to dry it using an old t-shirt. Since the cloth used on the t-shirt is softer compared to your regular towel, it will help minimize breakage and frizz. Just wrap your hair with your old t-shirt then squeeze out any excess water.
- Scrunch for definition. Most people with curly hair often scrunch their hair in the wrong manner. Scrunching is used to add more definition to your curls. The right way to this technique is to cup the ends of your curls then push them upwards and squeeze near your ear before releasing. You need to this section by section to achieve better looking curls.
So you see, it is possible for you to keep your curls looking awesome even when you don’t visit your hair stylist regularly. With these simple hair hacks you’ll be able to see significant improvements on how your curls look.