Sleep is something that we need to do in order for us to recharge our energies and to heal our bodies but because of our busy schedules we tend to skip on sleep just to make sure that we get things done on our end. Unfortunately, lack of sleep can impair our mental faculties and can even affect our physical and emotional well-being.
So what is it about sleeping that many people are missing out these days? If you are wondering why you should make sure that you get enough sleep, here are the benefits that you can gain from it.
- Better complexion. When you get enough sleep, your skin will noticeably look better than before. Lack of sleep can make your skin look dull and dry because there is not enough blood circulating. What’s more, sleep is the best time for your body to release human growth hormones that boost collagen production which is essential for your complexion.
- Reduce stress levels. Another benefit of getting enough sleep is that your stress levels will be reduced. This keeps you in a calm state of mind which is important if you want to be on top of your game at work and at home. Also, when you’re not stressed too much, you will also eliminate fine lines from appearing on your face because of the tension in your muscles and skin.
- Beautiful hair. Getting a good night’s sleep can actually help your hair grow longer and stronger. This is due to the melatonin that your body is releasing when it sleeps. Another plus to sleeping is that your cortisol production is regulated. Cortisol is a stress hormone that can affect your overall health including your hair. If you’ve been skimping on sleep, your body focuses most of its energy in ensuring that your vital organs are working with the lesser ones getting less energy.
- Skin repair. If you are wondering why your skin tends to break out in acne or suffer from blemishes, chances are you are not getting enough sleep. You see, when your body is at rest, there are certain cells that become more active at this point thus helping your skin cells to regenerate and regrow. And because your body is not exposed to various stresses, your skin gets the rest it needs.
- Minimize dark circles and puffiness. Those who are deprived of a good night’s sleep often wake up with their eyes puffy and dark circles under their eyes. Some may say that this is due to lack of sleep but this can be caused by too much water being retained in the body. A good trick to fight these two is to keep your head elevated a few inches so that water can drain from the face. It is also important to skip drinking alcoholic beverages and eating salty snacks or food after lunch to prevent water from being retained.
- Prevents acne breakout. Another reason why you should get enough beauty sleep is that it prevents acne from breaking out. When you’re depriving your body of sleep, it becomes resistant to insulin plus it can cause inflammation which yields to acne flare ups. Sleep is necessary as it boosts your immune system which your body needs to fight off any inflammation or health problems.
As you can see, there are plenty of health benefits to be gained when you get your beauty sleep. From repairing your skin to keeping signs of aging, you should always make it a point to let your body rest to regenerate and heal itself. This way, you won’t have to deal with low energy levels as well as poor skin condition the following day.