Ginger is well-known for its abilities to boost digestion and reduce inflammation but not everyone knows how efficient it is when it comes to weight loss and fat reduction particularly in the midsection. Belly fat tends to accumulate around our middle because of fluctuating hormones, overeating, stress, and lack of exercise. Consuming ginger can address these issues for sure. However, it is important to that you consult your doctor first before taking huge amounts of ginger as there might be side effects especially when you’re taking other medications.
So what can ginger do for you to have a flat tummy? Here are some benefits that are linked to eating ginger.
- Reduces cortisol production. Cortisol is a hormone that our body produces to help regulate our energy and our mobilization. Unfortunately, when we are feeling stressed, our body produces an abundance of cortisol. This is due to the adipose fat moving to our body’s visceral area which in turn promotes cortisol production. When the amount of cortisol is too high, more fats are being retained especially in the midsection. Consuming ginger, on the other hand, can reduce cortisol production which can prevent fats from accumulating particularly in your midsection.
- It has anti-inflammatories. Ginger is known to help with joint pain because of its anti-inflammatory properties but it can also work with reducing belly fat because ginger root can prevent blood vessels from becoming inflamed. This causes the blood to flow better throughout your entire body which in turn causes the heat in your body to increase so that more fat is burned.
- Boosts energy. Ginger belongs to the family of herbs and spices that are considered as stimulants. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, you should consume no more than 2 teaspoons of ginger every day to get its stimulating effects. Pregnant women, on the other hand, should reduce their intake to just a single gram of ginger. With the stimulating effects of ginger, you will have more energy to work out to burn more fats in the process.
- Good for digestion. Another benefit of ginger to keeping the fat off your midsection is to reduce your appetite. Consuming raw ginger is believed to regulate cholesterol, blood sugar, as well as lipids. You can also brew ginger tea and drink it before your meal to stimulate digestion. Although studies regarding the effects of hot water with weight loss are inconclusive, it is believed that it can stimulate the health benefits of ginger.
- Reduces cholesterol. Gaining excessive weight can actually cause your cholesterol levels to rise. Taking ginger, on the other hand, can reduce both hepatic and serum cholesterol levels. This will give you protection against any diseases that are linked to high cholesterol such as heart attack and stroke.
These are just a few benefits that you can get from consuming ginger that can also promote a flatter midsection. By keeping your consumption of ginger to two teaspoons only every day, you will be reaping plenty of its health benefits for sure.