We all now that sugar can wreak havoc not only on our skin but also to our weight but the idea of giving up on sugar laden foods hasn’t really crossed our minds. But doctors and other health practitioners are already alarmed at the growing rate of obesity all over the world which is why they are encouraging everyone to reconsider this eating habit of theirs.
So how will you be able to keep your sugar out of your diet? Here are some tips that you might want to take into consideration.
- Avoid drinking sugar. If you really want to reduce your sugar intake, you better start with avoiding drinks that contain sugar. Think sweetened teas, sodas, sports drinks, vitamin waters, and of course, juice. Recent studies show that drinking sweetened drinks are going to make you feel less full compared to eating foods with sugar. You can always go for water, tea, unsweetened coffee, and milk.
- Always read the ingredients. Another tip to starting a diet that is free from sugar is to start reading the labels. Keep in mind that there are many products that do not put the word sugar in it but other forms such as sucrose and fructose. It pays to read what ingredients are included so you will knowo whether it has some form of sugar or other.
- Minimize intake of high glycemic fruits. Health experts recommend that we eat fruits for vitamins and minerals but if you are trying to cut back on your sugar, you will need to minimize eating fruits that fall under the high glycemic such as grapes, mango, bananas, and cherries. Don’t worry, there are other options available.
- Keep it simple. When dining out, choose those that are simply prepared. This is due to the fact that they are not heavily laden with ingredients that may contain sugar. If you are unsure about what to eat, you can always ask about the restaurant’s dishes so you can make a smarter choice.
- Go for whole grains. Honey or sugar coated cereals may be your favorite pick for breakfast but if you want to cut back on sugar, you will need to go for whole grains instead. You’ll find this a better option especially when it comes to your digestion.
- Rethink your snacks. Healthy snacks like dried fruits, flavored yogurts, granola and the like can certainly tide you over until your next meal but keep in mind that they can have a lot of sugar in them. If you need to have a snack between meals, choose those that contain no sugar additives like plain yogurt, no-sugar crackers, raisins, and popcorn even. You can always make your own granola bar if you like as this will give you more control on what goes in it.
These are just a few diet tips that you can start with if you are trying to go for a sugar free diet this year. Keep in mind that you should take thing slow so as not to have a hard time keeping sugary foods away from you.