Getting a haircut can mean a lot of things. You just became single once more and you want to have a makeover. You are tired of your old look and want to try something new. Or perhaps you want to make your hair look healthier. No matter what your reasons may be for wanting to chop off your locks, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind.
- Skip trimming regularly. For those who tend to trim their hair every 6 to 8 weeks, you might want to give your hair more time to grow. The ends of your hair will start splitting in 3 to 4 months so let your hair alone for the meantime.
- Determine your feelings. Before you cut your hair make sure that you really want it. Assess your current emotions and state of mind and see whether you are sure about pursuing a new look or are still hesitant about it. If you are, better skip the haircut until you are sure that you want it.
- There is nothing wrong with going slow. If you are leaning towards making a real change in your hairstyle, keep in mind that you can always start slow. Long haired women who are eyeing a shorter cut can cut a few inches off at first to see if they’re still going to push through with it. This slow transition will prepare yourself better for that shorter hair.
- Short hair needs work. If you think that having short hair will mean less maintenance, think again. Short hair also needs the same care you are giving to your long hair but this time, you will need to visit the hair salon every now and then to ensure that your hairstyle remains the same. This means that you will be spending compared to wearing your hair long.
- When you change your hairstyle, don’t be afraid to experiment. Try to wear your hair in different styles even when it is short and the fun part is that you can try out different outfits as well to match the vibe your hair is giving off. You might be surprised to find that you discover new look in your arsenal that will really great for you.
- Your hair won’t grow faster if you cut regularly. For those who still believe that trimming your hair will make your hair grow faster, this doesn’t affect the growth at all. The ends of your hair don’t have any effect on the growth of your hair follicles located on the scalp. What trimming your hair does is to ensure that your hair grows healthy.
- Look for a good hair salon. Since you’re planning on getting a haircut, which can be a major change for you, it is important that you do your research on where you will get a haircut. Read reviews as much as possible so you will know that your hair will be treated right.
- Remove split ends. Although trimming should be limited to 3 to 4 months as opposed to every six weeks, if you’re seeing more split ends than usual, it is time to have them removed. If not, your hair strands will continue to split.
There are a lot of factors that you need to take into account when getting a haircut as your hair will be your crowning glory. It pays to know what kind of hairstyle that you like and whether it will match your face’s shape. If you already have a hairstylist in mind, ask them what best suits the shape of your face as they can steer you in the right direction.