Fruits are essential to one’s health as they contain some important nutrients that our body needs to fight off common ailments like cough and colds to the more severe ones like memory loss or even cancer. One particular fruit that you should add to your diet is the avocado as it has numerous health benefits linked to it. Unlike other types of fruits that are mostly made of carbohdyrates, avocado is high in healthy fat content which can deliver some powerful health benefits.
What health benefits can you get from eating avocadoes? Here are seven that are worth mentioning.
- More potassium present compared to bananas. Most people don’t have enough potassium in their system and although bananas are the first choice by many, avocadoes contain considerably higher amounts of this nutrient. Getting enough potassium in your system can aid in reducing high blood pressure which can help in minimizing one’s risk of suffering from heart attacks or other cardiovascular issues.
- Boosts skin health. Aside from reducing blood pressure, avocado is also important for your skin’s health. This fruit contains monounsaturated fats which help hydrate and repair your skin. The monounsaturated fats are also known to reduce inflammation and irritation so you don’t have to worry about acne flare ups, rashes, or any other skin blemishes that will arise in the future.
- Contains plenty of antioxidants. Avocadoes not only increase your body’s ability to absorb antioxidants from plant sources but they are also packed with their own set of antioxidants too. Among the nutrients that are found in avocado are Zeaxanthin and Lutein both of which are useful for keeping your eyes healthy. Eating avocadoes means that you can keep macular degeneration and other eye problems at bay even when you get older.
- Can help treat arthritis. A lot of people are suffering from osteoarthritis or the inflammation of joints because of their genes, their lifestyle, and even the foods that they eat. Some foods like corn, sugar, and wheat are found to trigger arthritis. Fortunately, avocadoes have the opposite effect thanks to the antioxidants, phytosterols, and monounsaturated fats that are present in the fruit.
- It packs plenty of fiber. Avocadoes are also known to contain high amounts of fiber which is useful when it comes to cleansing one’s digestive system. Fiber has also been linked to weight loss as it can help regulate one’s blood sugar levels which mean that you won’t experience cravings and such. Adding avocado to your diet means that you won’t feel hungry any time soon and that your food intake will be reduced significantly for better weight loss results.
- Ideal for pregnant women. Another health benefit that is linked to avocado is that it is ideal for women who want to get pregnant or already are because of the folic acid present in it. Folate or folic acid prevents birth defects from occurring hence doctors recommend women to increase their intake of foods containing this specific vitamin if they want to have a healthy baby.
- It can prevent cancer. Although studies are still being conducted on how efficacy of avocadoes in preventing cancer, the fruit has been found to reduce the side effects of patients undergoing chemotherapy.
Avocadoes are certainly good additions to one’s diet especially to those who want to start eating right. With the health benefits mentioned above, you can actually help your body become stronger and more immune to various health problems from the milder ones to the more severe. The best part is that avocadoes are actually tasty and can be integrated into various dishes which can help liven up your meals.