Most people have experienced food poisoning at one point in time which is caused by viruses, bacteria, as well as toxins that are found in the food. Among the symptoms that are likely to occur are dizziness, nausea, headache, vomiting, and abdominal cramps just to name a few. The symptoms can range from mild to severe depending on how much spoiled food you’ve eaten. Food poisoning is a serious matter as you can easily get dehdyrated from it because of diarrhea and vomiting. Increasing your intake of water and other liquids and skipping solid foods for the meantime is recommended.
Of course, there are other remedies that you can also try out for food poisoning. Some of these include:
- Apple cider vinegar. For those with mild cases of food poisoning, apple cider vinegar can help alleviate the symptoms. You will need to one to two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of 16 ounces of water with some fresh lemon juice. You should drink this solution every 4 to 6 hours until the symptoms are reduced. Although the taste may not be to your liking but the antibacterial properties of the vinegar can help eliminate the toxins in your stomach
- Ginger. Another possible home remedy is ginger as it is known for its ability to treat various digestive problems including those that are triggered by food poisoning. Drink a cup of ginger tea after eating a meal to help improve digestion and to alleviate the symptoms of food poisoning. You can also combine a few drops of ginger juice to a teaspoon of honey and take it several times in a day until the symptoms disappear.
- Activated charcoal. Activated charcoal is different compared to the ones that you cook with so stay away from the latter. The activated charcoal is actually food grade and can be stored in the pantry in case of emergencies like food poisoning. What’s great about this charcoal is that it can absorb the toxins and bind them to it. Of course, you should still drink plenty of water to help flush them out so you will feel better in no time.
- Lemon. Lemon contains antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties which is why you shouldn’t forget it when you are suffering from food poisoning. The acid that is found in lemon can help eliminate the toxins and bacteria from the food you’ve eaten. Just add a pinch of sugar to a teaspoon of lemon juice and drink it several times in a day. You can also make a warm lemon juice to sip the entire day to help provide relief.
- Chamomile tea. This tea can also help provide you with relief from the symptoms of food poisoning and is best to be used as a supplement to other remedies mentioned here. Chamomile is perfect for relaxing the muscles and soothing the digestive system which is good if you are cramping up or vomiting constantly. You can also drink chamomile tea before bedtime to help you relax.