Ginseng is considered as one of the most used herbal supplements today not just in the United States but around the world as it is often linked to increasing energy levels and boosting one’s memory. But there is more to ginseng than these benefits. Take for example, ginseng has been found to be effective in increasing your body’s protection against different types of stresses.
There are two basic types of ginseng and these are American ginseng and Asian ginseng both of which are packed with numerous health benefits that not everyone knows about.
The American ginseng is best used when it has reached six years of age but because of overharvesting, buying this root can be quite expensive. However, research shows that the American ginseng offers quite an impressive list of health benefits such as:
- Prevents diabetes. American ginseng has been found to contain anti-diabetic properties and can increase a person’s sensitivity to insulin.
- Stops certain types of cancer. Another benefit that is linked to this type of ginseng is that it can prevent cancer cells from growing.
- Boosts immune system. Ginseng is also used to give the immune system a boost. This helps provide protection against colds, cough, flu and other common illnesses.
- Enhance memory. This type of ginseng can also improve one’s memory not just in adults but in young ones too. Those who are having trouble remembering or memorizing their lessons, this ginseng can help enhance your mental faculties.
- Treats ADHD. Another reason why American ginseng is sought out is because of its ability to improve the symptoms of those with ADHD. Combining the ginseng with ginko bilboa can have some positive effects to patients with ADHD.
Asian ginseng, on the other hand, is often studied by researchers as the herb is easily available. The difference between the two is that the American ginseng is found to be useful for those with diabetes but the Asian ginseng may not be as effective. What’s more, if you are looking for an herb that will help you achieve a calm state of mind, the American ginseng is the best choice as the Asian ginseng is often used to heat things up. So what benefits are linked to the Asian ginseng?
- Provides protection to the heart. The Asian ginseng is found to be effective in providing sufficient protection to one’s heart health particularly against heart failure and hypertension. It has also been found to reduce one’s cholesterol levels as well as prevent various heart diseases from occurring.
- Treats fatigue in cancer patients. Cancer patients often suffer from CRF or cancer-related fatigue. But those who took 800mg of Asian ginseng in supplement form found relief from the fatigue. They were even found to eat and sleep better compared to before.
- Contains neuroprotective properties. Studies on the Asian ginseng found evidences that this particular herb can actually help protect one’s mental capacity including anti-inflammatory, anti-apoptic, antioxidant, and regulate homeostasis. It is possible that this herb can be used by patients with neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinsons.
- Beats back colds and flu. Just like with the American ginseng, it appears that the Asian ginseng can give your immune system a boost to provide protection against common illnesses like colds and flu. Those who took 400mg of Asian ginseng in four months suffered less from common ailments as opposed to those who didn’t.
It’s impossible not to be impressed with the health benefits linked to ginseng whether American ginseng or Asian ginseng. Both show promise as to how they can improve one’s overall health. For those who are looking for a supplement to boost their immune system as well as get protection against other health problems, this herbal supplement might be the one for you.