Honey has always been linked to a healthier lifestyle but there are those who appear to be surprised by the fact that it can be used on one’s hair. Surprisingly, honey is found to be quite handy when it comes to strengthening and beautifying the hair and many companies are already integrating this ingredient in their hair products because of the benefits that it comes with it.
For those who are wondering why honey is touted as an important ingredient for hair care, here are some reasons why you should consider adding it to your beauty regimen.
- It contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties. Our hair and scalp are often exposed to the elements day in and day out which can cause dryness, brittleness, and even scalp inflammation and irritation especially when you’re out under the sun for hours. Thanks to the antibacterial and antiseptic properties of honey, any inflammation or irritation of the scalp is prevented. This means that dandruff and other scalp issues won’t be a problem too in the long run.
- It is economical. Honey is budget friendly especially since a small jar can go a long way for your hair treatment. You can actually save more if you choose to make your own shampoo and conditioner with honey as one of the main ingredients. It’s actually a fun DIY project to do over the weekends plus it will be good for your hair too.
- It contains antioxidants. Free radicals can cause damage to our cells and can lead to dull, brittle hair in the long run. Applying honey hair mask on the other hand can help revitalize your hair because of the antioxidants that are present in it. The antioxidants can treat damaged cells while at the same time help remove free radicals in the body.
- It can make your hair healthy. Another benefit of using honey for the hair is that it is packed with vitamins and minerals that can help nourish and strengthen your hair. Treating your hair with some honey can prevent brittleness, hair fall, and even dandruff just to name a few.
- It is a natural hair softener. Commercial shampoos and conditioners nowadays can be a bit tough on those with sensitive skin as they can trigger inflammation and irritation. Honey, on the other hand, can help make your hair soft naturally so you don’t have to worry about scalp itching or flaking. Plus, you will see that your hair will look more manageable because of its softness.
- It can boost hair growth. Honey is considered as an emollient which means that it can help waken up sleeping hair follicles so you can grow your hair fairly quickly. Using hair treatments that contain honey correctly can boost one’s hair growth.
- It prevents hair loss. Another surprising benefit of honey is that it can prevent hair fall or hair loss from occurring as it is considered a humectant. This means that honey can prevent moisture from dissipating from your hair. What’s more, honey has plenty of sugar in it that can retain moisture too which strengthens hair follicles. This means that there won’t be any hair loss for you to worry about.
- It can bring back the natural shine of your hair. If your hair is dull and dry looking after being exposed to the sun and wind for too long, you will find that honey can bring back the natural sheen of your hair. And thanks to the nourishing content of honey, your hair strands will become thicker, stronger, and longer too. No doubt your hair will be looking good in no time.