Starting the day right is possible especially in terms of diet because there are plenty of healthy food choices that you can start integrating into your meals. Switching to clean eating can provide you with numerous health benefits from better metabolism, to reducing your risk of acquiring various diseases, all the way to enhancing organ function for better overall health. So which foods should you be including in your diet this year? Here are a few worth mentioning.
- Soybeans. Soybeans can deliver up to 38% of protein to your body as well as other important nutrients. Health experts recommend adding more tofu and soymilk instead of cheese and meat because they can help reduce your risk of cancer. If you are not a fan of tofu, you can always opt for edamame, ice cream, soy-based meat, and yogurt just to name a few.
- Beets. Another food that should make an appearance in your dinner table is beets. This vegetable contains vitamins A, B, C, E, as well as K and of course, potassium, protein, folate, calcium, fiber and iron. Aside from reducing your risk of cancer, beets can also prevent heart problems.
- Lentils. Lentils have always been part of the healthy foods list so this shouldn’t be surprising when you’re wondering what foods to eat this 2017. Health experts and nutritionists alike praise the lentils’ nutrient content not to mention its ability to prevent insulin resistance which significantly reduces the risk of Type 2 diabetes. Not only are lentils versatile but they can also be a good substitute to meat.
- Cabbage. A cup of chopped raw cabbage contains up to 20 calories only hence this low-calorie food is a perfect addition to your diet. What makes cabbage a healthy option is that it is high in vitamin C at 33mg per cup and it is also packed with folate. Red cabbage, on the other hand, contains more vitamin C than green cabbage but low in folate content. Adding these two to your diet will definitely be a huge boost to your health and they are not even that difficult to prepare.
- Blueberries. Blueberries have always been touted as one of the healthiest foods today which is why it is such a great addition to everyone’s diet. For starters, blueberries have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties which can protect you against various health problems. They can also help keep your cognitive and cardiovascular health running properly even as you age. To get the full benefits of blueberries, you need to eat a quarter cup of these fruits daily. You can eat them for dessert or snack whichever you prefer.
You are still in the running of making healthier changes to your diet. You don’t have to go on extreme diets just to lose weight or improve your current health but making changes to your existing diet and integrating nutrient-rich foods can definitely deliver a positive effect to your overall health.