Dry skin is caused by lack of moisture on our skin but there are other factors that can make our smooth and silky skin dry up such as genetics, aging, and even lack of certain vitamins and minerals. Most of us apply plenty of lotions and moisturizers to prevent dry skin but these skin care products are not exactly cheap. Fortunately, you can treat dry and flaky skin using natural remedies. Here are some to help you achieve better looking skin.
- Milk Cream. Milk cream contains lactic acid which has been found to be effective in exfoliating dry skin. It also has soothing properties which can restore or bring balance the pH levels of your skin. Another plus to using this ingredient is that it can moisturize your skin effectively.
- Petroleum Jelly. If you are suffering from dry, itchy skin, a good remedy is to use a moisturizer that is thick and heavy to penetrate deep into your parched skin. Using scented lotions may leave you smelling nice but won’t do much in terms of moisturizing dry skin. A better alternative is to look for emollients or thick creams like petroleum jelly. If petroleum jelly is too thick for you, warm it in your hands first before applying on your skin.
- Honey. Another home remedy that has been found to be quite effective in treating dry skin is honey. Honey is not just for adding a bit of sweetness to your drink or food but it has anti-microbial, antioxidants, and humectant properties that can restore the natural smoothness of your skin. To use this remedy, apply honey all over your body and let it sit for 10 minutes. Rinse afterwards. You should do this daily to achieve desired results.
- Coconut Oil. It appears that coconut oil can help nourish dry skin as it contains plenty of fatty acids that can restore moisture to your skin. For this home remedy to work, you should apply warm coconut oil all over your body before you go to bed. Take a shower when you wake up to remove excess oil. You should repeat this treatment daily to nourish your skin properly.
- Oatmeal. If you are a fan of oatmeal for breakfast then you’ll be doubly happy to learn that oatmeal is also a good choice when it comes to treating dry skin. Fill your bathtub with warm water then pour a cup of oatmeal into it. Add a few drops of lavender oil then soak in it for 15 to 30 minutes. You should do this at least once a week to help soothe and nourish your dry skin.
There is nothing to worry about if your skin is dry and flaky because there are plenty of home remedies that can alleviate this problem. The ones mentioned above are just a few options for you to try out to alleviate your skin’s current condition. Although lotions and moisturizers work, it pays to go natural with the remedies mentioned above to achieve beautiful looking skin.