Achieving acne free skin may sound like an impossible task for many but aside from taking care of your skin using various skin care products, you should also pay attention to what you are eating. A diet for a smooth, and clear looking skin isn’t really revolutionary as health experts have already recommended to eat simply and healthily to achieve a clear complexion. Although this diet may have different results for various individuals, it is still a good place to start when it comes to getting rid of acne problems in the long run.
- Get enough vitamins A and E. Your skin is prone to acne breakouts once your body doesn’t have enough vitamins A and E in it. These vitamins target inflammation which is one of the factors that can trigger acne. Vitamin A is also believed to reduce production of sebum to minimize clogged pores. Fish, nuts, and vegetables are just a few examples of sources of these two vitamins which should be included in your daily diet.
- Drink more water. This is a habit that you need to practice daily if you want to keep your skin clear from any blemishes. Since our body is made up of at least 60% water, it makes sense that we stay hydrated especially when we exert a lot of effort during exercise, or doing chores. Hydrating your body is a good way to keep acne at bay too as it flushes out the toxins that can trigger acne breakout.
- Avoid eating processed foods. Not all processed foods are generally bad as most of the products that we have in our fridge had been processed at one point. What’s important is that you pay attention to the contents of the product as most “processed” foods are high in salt, fat, and sugar content. As much as possible, go organic though this may be a bit on the expensive side. Still it can reduce your intake of chemicals that are often used in prolonging the shelf life on most processed foods today.
- Eat more vegetables. You’ve probably heard about the Alkaline diet where the main goal is to restore the alkaline levels in your body to prevent acne from forming. Although this diet does benefit the consumer, increasing your intake of green, leafy vegetables is one of the best ways to keep your skin clear. Kale, spinach, broccolis, and other varieties can give you the nutrients you need to combat bacteria, inflammation, and other factors that contribute to acne breakouts.
- Keep an eye out on excessive iodine. Too much iodine is also one of the reasons why irritation occurs in the skin which can lead to acne breakout. The kinds of food that we eat contain more than the recommended amount per day which is why you need to reduce your consumption of fast food products, chips, and the like. Eggs, vegetables, and strawberries are just a few examples of good sources of iodine.
- Dark chocolate. It appears that eating chocolate is good for the body and your skin but not the ones that contain milk. Dark chocolate is recommended by health experts when it comes to having clear skin as it contains zinc and other nutrients that can keep acne at bay. Just make sure that you limit your intake to a small square per meal to avoid eating too much calories.
These are just a few examples of how your diet should look like if you want to prevent acne from forming or flaring up. A few healthy changes to your diet is a good start to achieve that flawless looking skin.