Hair color isn’t something new in the beauty industry as both men and women dye their hair to change their current look. But for those who will color their hair for the first time, the task can be quite daunting especially when you want to make sure that the results will be exactly how you envision it. So how will you go on about dyeing your hair so you won’t regret your decision? Here are a few tips that you should keep in mind.
- Get a consultation. If you want your hair color to be done professionally, you will need to book a consultation with your hair colorist. This way, you two can discuss what color you want for your hair, the style you want for your hair, and what technique the colorist will use so you can plan for the actual coloring better. Don’t hesitate to ask questions so you will know how the entire procedure will unfold.
- Your hair will require touch-ups. Another thing that you need to keep in mind when having your hair colored is that it will fade sooner or later. This is due to the fact that your hair tends to grow half an inch every month which means that you will need your hair colored every 6 to 8 weeks. If you don’t have the budget or the time for touch ups, you should choose a hair dye that is close to your natural hair color.
- Choose your hair colorist. For sure there will be dozens of hair colorists available in your area which means that before you hire someone, make sure that you know their background first. Take a look at their previous colors and ask for recommendations from family and friends so you can have options to choose from.
- Use hair products designed for colored hair. Once you have your hair colored, you need to switch to hair products that are designed for color-treated hair. This way, the color of your hair will be preserved for a longer time while at the same time, your hair strands will receive nourishment to keep them strong and healthy.
- Bring photos. It’s always a good idea to show your colorist how you want your hair to look like. The best way to do this is to bring photos of people with the hair color that you like. Your colorist will be able to give you some advice on how each color will look on you so you can make a better decision on what hue you would like to apply on your hair.
- Check for allergic reaction. If you have sensitive skin, it is important that you do a swatch test to ensure that the hair color that will be used on won’t trigger some allergic reaction. A good way to test your skin is to apply a small amount of dye on the nape of your neck then follow the directions on the box of your hair color.
- Wear sun protection. Although your hair color will fade overtime, if you constantly expose yourself to the harsh rays of the sun, chances are your hair color will fade quicker than usual. The best way to ensure that your hair color will be preserved is to use sun protection like hat or scarf. This way, your hair won’t be exposed too much to the sun which can make your hair brittle and can make the color fade.
These are just a few things that you need to take into account before you have your hair dyed to a color of your choice. It’s important that you know what entails coloring your hair so that you will be prepared for it.