Medical examinations: what to expect? People will give different answers. However, it is important to note that nowadays, with the
rising number of people suffering from various disorders both old and new, more and more consumers are becoming aware of the importance of taking annual medical and physical examinations. For them, knowing how healthy they are is very important so that
they can do everything they can in the event that they have developed a health problem that can only be diagnosed through the medical lab tests included in the process.
In order to help you prepare, make sure that you equip yourself with the knowledge of the steps involved in an annual medical and physical examination. So here are the basics of medical examinations: what to expect.
Taking Note of Your Medical History
In most cases, the first component of medical examinations is taking note of your medical and health history. Consider this as an opportunity to mention any concerns you have about your health. The doctor will also ask you about your crucial behavioral aspects, such as alcohol intake, tobacco smoking, diet, exercise, and sexual health. It is also highly likely that the doctor will ask you about your vaccination status.
Noting of your Vital Signs
Next is the noting of your vital signs. The vital signs include the following:
- Blood Pressure – If it is less than 120 over 80, it means that you have normal blood pressure. If you are hypertensive, it means that your blood pressure is 140 over 90 or even higher.
- Heart Rate – Heart rate values that are within 60 and 100 are normal.Those who have great health may have lower values though.
- Respiration Rate – A respiration rate of 16 is considered normal.
- Temperature – 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit is the normal temperature level.
Observation of your General Appearance
The physician also takes into account your overall appearance as these are giveaways to a lot of your health-related aspects. In most cases, the doctor will take note of your memory as well as your mental quickness. The appearance of your skin is also noted by the physician. Lastly, the health professional will also
observe if you can easily walk and stand up from being seated.
Examinations of the Various Parts of Your Body
Most of the basic procedures of medical examinations include performing tests on various parts of your body. The most important include the following:
- Abdominal Exam – Tapping your stomach is often involved in this exam, in order to detect if there is abdominal fluid present as well as the size of your liver.
- Dermatological Exam – Checking of your skin and nail findings is done to determine if you have skin problems.
- Extremities Exam – Examination of your joints as well as pulses in your legs and arms are often conducted in this type of examination.
- Head/Neck Exam – Your doctor will check your tonsils, the quality of your teeth and gums, as well as your eyes, ears, nose, sinuses, thyroid, carotid arteries, and lymph nodes.
- Heart Exam– The doctor will listen to your heart in order to detect if you have a heart murmur or irregular heartbeat.
- Lung Exam– Crackles, decreased breathing sounds, and wheezes are checked by the doctor through the use of a stethoscope.