Everyone knows that eggs are phenomenal sources of high quality protein. If you are instructed by your doctor to have your daily intake of cholesterol reduced, there is really no need for you to turn your back on eggs. Opting for egg whites is a wonderful idea because they are absolutely free of cholesterol!
Other than being devoid of cholesterol, did you know that egg whites contain zero saturated fat? That’s excellent news most especially for people who are looking to increase their protein intake while at the same time decrease their intake of unhealthy fat. By the way, the white of a single egg only packs about 17 calories. Awesome!
What’s so wonderful about egg whites is the majority of the protein content of eggs can be found in them. This means that discarding the yolks will still allow you to enjoy plenty of muscle-building protein. According to experts, egg whites pack all of the amino acids that your body needs for optimum functioning and health.
Unfortunately, egg whites do contain sodium. The white of an egg contains 55 mg of sodium — that’s about 2 percent of your daily requirement of sodium. Although it is seemingly small, the tiny amount of sodium present in a single egg white can easily add up if you include the whites of several eggs in your diet.
That’s why it is a good idea to refrain from adding salt when cooking your egg whites, and opt for some herbs instead. And speaking of cooking, there are so many ways to have egg whites cooked. This only means that you are not going to have a hard time making egg whites an important part of your everyday meals.
So what are some of the perks of adding egg whites to your daily diet? Here are some of them:
- Egg whites contain decent amounts of B vitamins. Experts say that B vitamins are important for the conversion of food into energy, so the consumption of egg whites can help you carry out all sorts of physical as well as mental tasks. B vitamins are also important for the healthy functioning of the brain and nerves.
- They help build and maintain muscles. Can’t afford those expensive protein shakes? Then simply include egg whites in your diet. Touted as “complete protein”, egg whites supply your body with all the amino acids it cannot produce on its own, thereby allowing you to build bigger and stronger muscles — and maintain them, too!
- Consuming them speeds up the metabolism. Being rich in high quality protein, making egg whites a diet staple can help make your metabolism run faster. That’s because your digestive system requires lots of calories to process protein. With a speedy metabolism, losing excess pounds should become easier.
- Egg whites are low in calories and have no saturated fat. It’s not just the metabolism-boosting properties of egg whites that make them super valuable for people who wish to lose weight, but also the fact that they are low in calories. More importantly, egg whites contain absolutely no saturated fat!
- Adding them to your diet may help lower blood pressure. Egg whites are actually wonderful sources of potassium, a mineral that helps the blood vessels to relax, resulting in the lowering of the blood pressure. Being high in protein, egg whites also help keep the blood vessels in an excellent condition.
- They promote stronger teeth and bones. Want to keep your pearly whites for life? Then consume egg whites on a regular basis because they contain good amounts of calcium. Needless to say, calcium-rich egg whites also help strengthen your bones, thus reducing your risk of having osteoporosis in the future.
- Eating them supplies your body with an array of nutrients. Other than the ones already mentioned above, there are a handful of other nutrients that you can get from eating egg whites. Some of them include magnesium, phosphorous, iron, copper, zinc, manganese, selenium and folate.