You’ve probably experienced the sudden need to eat something sweet at one point in the day. Well, you are not alone because people all over the world crave for something that will satisfy their sweet tooth. Fruits, cakes, chocolates and the like have all been chosen to alleviate this need but the problem is that, indulging too much on sweets can actually have a negative effect to your health such as weight gain, mood swings, and even poor complexion. So how will you be able to stop your sugar addiction?
The good news is that there are several steps that you can take to address this problem. Here are a few ways that you can take into consideration.
- Opt for whole fruits. If you want to save yourself from all those sugary snacks that you’re keeping in your drawer or fridge, how about swapping them with whole fruits instead? Whole fruits contain fructose which can satisfy your sweet tooth while at the same time give you nutritional benefits too. Just make sure that you only have small servings of fruits as too much can cause your belly to bulge.
- Avoid eating processed foods. One reason why we can’t just ditch our sugary cravings is because of the kinds of food that we eat. Processed foods and sugary items are both addictive so if you want to reduce your sugar addiction, you need to change your diet. The problem with eating sweets or too much processed foods is that we experience pleasure which lifts us up. Unfortunately, when this feeling disappears, we crave for it, hence we indulge ourselves into eating sweets once more. Eating whole foods, on the other hand, can alleviate this need because not only will they regulate your blood sugar levels but they will also keep your stomach full.
- Make a backup plan. If you are trying to stop your sweet cravings, you always need to have a backup plan in place. For example, go out for walks, clean the house, or distract yourself in the garden. Whatever it is, you should follow this plan of yours whenever you feel the need to eat something sweet.
- Stabilize your blood sugar. One reason why you’re looking for sweets is because your blood sugar level is starting to dip. This is why doctors are encouraging their patients to eat small meals frequently to help maintain a well-balanced blood sugar level. Go for millet, quinoa or amaranth at night to help produce more serotonin for an improved mood.
- Clean your house. If you really want to start your plans to getting rid of your sugar addiction, it is only right that you start cleaning your house. This means ditching all foods that are sweet or contains sugar so you won’t be tempted to eat them. Replace them with healthier options instead like fruits and nuts so that you’ll feel fuller and healthier too.
These are just a few tips on how you can stop your addiction to sugar. You can always start with these first until you find the right one to follow.