For those who are diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, or are trying to lose weight, or simply want to eat healthy to maintain their current weight, learning portion control is going to be a huge help. Unfortunately, it’s hard for some to estimate, say a cup of rice, hence they end up eating more than is necessary. If you are trying to minimize your consumption of food through portion control, you might want to try these tips out.
- Divide your plate. One of the simplest rules that you should keep in mind when it comes to portion eating is to divide your plate in half before you eat. Pile one half with vegetables and fruits while the other half should be divided to starch and protein. This will give you a better idea on how your plating should look like.
- Start measuring. Another tip that you should follow when it comes to portion control is to break out the measuring cups. Yes, measuring your food will help you get a better idea on how much food you should eat to achieve your weight loss goal instead of just estimating the sizes. You’ll be surprised how different a properl measured is compared to the one that you have in mind.
- Stop mindless munching. Most restaurants often leave some appetizers on the table so you can munch on something while waiting for your order. Unfortunately, this mindless munching is costing you in terms of calorie intake. The best thing to do is to ask the waiter to remove the bread or any other free stuff from your table to save you from munching.
- Remember the “rules of thumb”. Another tip when it comes to portion control is to know the “rules of thumb”. Basically, a 3 oz lean meat is actually equivalent to a deck of cards. If you want to know what is the equivalent of a cup of breakfast cereal, it is the same as the size of your fist. There are other rules that you should take note of so you can measure your food appropriately especially when you’re outside.
- Turn your TV off. If you tend to watch TV while you eat, the best thing to do is to turn it off. One reason behind this is that you are not really paying attention to what you are eating and how much hence you are eating more than is necessary. Try practicing this at home and you’ll find that your eating less compared to before.
- Use portion-control plates. Another way to stick with portion eating is to take advantage of portion-control plates where there are lines showing which part should be for what kind of food. These plates can help you measure your intake of proteins, carbs, and other essential nutrients so you won’t go beyond the recommended amount per meal.
These are just a few tips that you can follow when it comes to learning how to do portion control. With these in mind, you’ll be able to keep your food intake down to a minimum.