Peanut butter and jelly sandwich has always been a staple in many kitchens as it is easy to put together and satisfying to the taste buds. However, there has been a misconception that eating peanut butter is bad for the health which is why many skipped spreading it on their sandwiches for fear that they will gain weight. On the contrary, there are many reasons why you should make peanut butter part of your diet as this ingredient comes with a lot of health benefits that you need.
For those who are wondering what benefits can be gained from peanut butter, here are some that are worth taking note of.
- It contains plenty of nutrition. Eating a serving of peanut butter already contains magnesium which helps with bone development, potassium for the muscles, vitamin B6 to enhance the immune system and vitamin E which is an important antioxidant for the body. One study that was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association suggested that eating two tablespoons of peanut butter or eating an ounce of peanuts at least five days a week can provide protection against diabetes.
- Provides protection against Alzheimer’s. Peanut butter is known to contain niacin which is essential for mental health. Those who eat foods that have niacin are less likely to develop Alzheimer’s when they go older.
- It has a lot of good fat. Another reason why peanut butter is good for you is because it has a lot of good fat or monounsaturated fats in it. Studies show that those who ate foods that contain more monounsaturated fats are less likely to develop belly fat as opposed to those whose diet is composed of saturated fats. Skip the reduced peanut butter as it contains a lot of calories from the other ingredients.
- It can help you lose weight. It may seem counter-intuitive to refer to peanut butter as diet food because it packs up to 200 calories per serving but if you’re going to look closely at this ingredient, you will find that it has the combination of protein and fiber which sits in your belly for a longer period. This means that you will be less likely to eat snacks in between meals or keep your food consumption down to a minimum. This can help a lot if you are trying to lose weight because you won’t be adding more calories to your body.
- It’s good for the heart. Peanut butter is also good for your heart thanks to the good fats that are present. The monounsaturated fats ensure that your arteries are free from any blockages and that your cholesterol levels are down. This ensures that there will be less risk of suffering from heart problems like heart attacks and stroke.
- Reduces colon cancer in women. Here’s another reason why peanut butter is good for you. There are several studies that link peanut butter with lower risk of acquiring colon cancer in women.
When looking for peanut butter in the groceries, here are a few pointers to ensure that you get the best one for your dining table.
- Brands that contain natural peanut butter usually have up to 2 grams of sugar which is half of what is found in most commercial brands. This is just to give the peanut butter its sweet taste.
- Look for peanut butter that has 40 to 250mg worth of sodium per 2 tablespoon of serving. Anything more is simply to hide the peanut butter flavour and is not really good your health.
The next time you are thinking of what to eat in the morning, you might want to consider making some PBJs. Not only are they satisfying but they have plenty of nutrition too.