Moringa is actually a tree that’s native to various parts of Asia and Africa. Because it possesses an impressive nutritional profile, moringa is commonly employed in underdeveloped countries in order to deal with malnutrition problems. These days, you can easily come across moringa supplements online and offline — they’re quite popular!
It’s actually easy to understand why moringa supplements have been taking the world by storm as of late. Back in 2008, moringa was touted as the “plant of the year” by the National Institute of Health.
Also, more than a thousand studies have been conducted on moringa — that’s how promising it is to get a lot of scientists excited. In the said studies, it was found out that just about every part of the moringa tree has amazing medicinal properties. Oh, and scientists also discovered that moringa can help prevent and even reverse diseases!
The nutritional profile of moringa is unbelievable! Read the following mind-blowing facts about it:
- It contains 2 times the amount of protein found in yogurt
- It packs 3 times more potassium than bananas
- It has 4 times the amount of calcium in whole milk
- It boasts of 4 times more vitamin A than carrots
- It is loaded with 7 times the amount of vitamin C in oranges
Based on the above facts, it’s no wonder why a lot of scientists and health-conscious people alike are going gaga over moringa! Aside from the nutrients mentioned, there are a few more present in moringa. However, experts say that majority of the amazing health benefits moringa offers can be attributed to its incredible antioxidant content.
Here are some of the scientifically-proven perks that moringa brings:
- It helps normalize hormone levels. Women, in particular menopausal ones and those who suffer from PMS, can benefit from moringa as it can help keep their hormone levels within the normal range.
- It detoxifies the body. Studies have shown that moringa supports the functioning of the liver, and also enhances the ability of the said organ to neutralize poisonous heavy metals.
- It improves digestive health. Traditionally, moringa is used for promoting better digestion as well as for healing ulcerations in the lining of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
- It regulates blood sugar. Moringa is beneficial for people suffering from diabetes because it is proven by scientists that it is very good in keeping the levels of sugar in the blood normal.
- It keeps your mood lifted. Because moringa contains an amino acid called tryptophan, it encourages the production of happy hormones called serotonin. In short, moringa is great for those with depression.
- It promotes younger-looking skin. Antioxidant properties of moringa help shield the skin from accelerated aging. Moringa is also known to be superb against an assortment of skin diseases.
- It helps keep the vision sharp. Thanks to the loads of vitamin A in moringa, it can be employed to protect the structures of the eyes, thus helping to maintain the sharpness of vision.
- It strengthens the immune system. As mentioned earlier, moringa packs more vitamin C than oranges. So in other words, it’s better at keeping your immune system in a fabulous shape.
- It wards off painful joints. Moringa is admired for its amazing anti-inflammatory properties. This is the reason why supplementing with it is beneficial for individuals battling arthritis.
- It lowers your risk of cancer. The combination of detoxifying, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of moringa makes the herb very good at lowering one’s cancer risk, based on scientific investigations.
Just like when taking any other supplement, consider telling your doctor about it. Also, it is not advisable for pregnant women to use moringa supplements. That’s because in studies conducted on laboratory mice, moringa induced abortion in pregnant mice. Additionally, it is definitely a good idea to purchase moringa supplements from a reputable health food store online or offline. Before you shop, read reviews and compare ratings.