Are you happy with the whiteness of your teeth but the dark coloration of your gums keeps you from flashing a big smile? Don’t frown — there are dental procedures as well as home remedies that can make your gums pink.
Individuals who spend a lot of time outdoors tend to have darker gums because it’s no secret that too much sun exposure can cause the formation of melanin. As a proof, gum areas around the teeth which are exposed when smiling or talking tend to be dark, while other areas that are hidden from the sun tend to be pink in color.
Definitely, the color of the gums can be due to genetic reasons. If your parents have dark gums or your skin complexion is on the darker side, then it’s very much likely for your gums to be dark, too.
Habits are causative factors at times. For instance, cigarette smoking is something that can leave the gums discolored, as well as the lips and teeth. Having poor oral hygiene is a also a culprit — gum disease not only makes the gums swell and bleed, but also end up with a darker color. By the way, dental experts say that the intake of certain types of drugs like antibiotics, antimalarials and antidepressants can also leave the gums darkened.
Just like what’s stated earlier, there are dental procedures available for dark-colored gums. One of them is the surgical removal of the topmost layer of the gums. Another one involves the use of laser to zap melanin. Quite obviously, dental procedures for making the gums pink can come with steep price tags.
Before you spend a great deal of money on the said dental procedures, it’s a wonderful idea for you to first try a bunch of all-natural remedies for dark gums. Give these tips and tricks a try and you may skip spending lots of cash:
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brushing your teeth at least twice a day and flossing on a regular basis can help ward off gum disease, which is something that can leave your gums darkened. It’s also a good idea to eat nutritious foods, including most especially those that are rich in vitamin C for healthier gums.
- Choose the right toothpaste. Refrain from using toothpastes containing harsh chemicals because they may only irritate your gums, leaving them discolored. When shopping, look for something that’s mild and all-natural. If you can get your hands on toothpaste with charcoal or baking soda, do so.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush. It’s a no-no to brush like there’s no tomorrow because it can harm your gums, including your pearly whites. Make sure that you brush gently for about 2 minutes. It will help a lot if you opt for a toothbrush that comes with soft bristles to ward off gum irritation and trauma.
- Reduce intake of coffee, tea and red wine. What you put in your mouth can actually leave your gums looking less than pink. Try to keep your intake of coffee and tea to a minimum. The same is true with red wine. After drinking any of these beverages, drink a glass of water or rinse your mouth with water.
- Ditch cigarettes or tobacco products. Everyone knows that smoking cigarettes and other tobacco-based products can wreak havoc to the health. It’s a habit that can also stain the teeth and darken the gums. If you’re a smoker and bothered by your dark-colored gums, the best step to take is to quit your bad habit.
- Limit sun exposure. Too much sun exposure can cause melanin production, and this can leave your gums darkened. Alas, there is no sunscreen available exclusive for gum use! Because of this, do your best to shield your gums from the sun. Consider wearing wide-brimmed hats and using umbrella during daytime.
Know any other natural solution for dark gums? Share it below and help someone feel confident and beautiful!