Meditation has long been practiced by people both from Eastern and Western cultures. It is currently considered as a trusted form of discipline by which practitioners derive holistic improvement. The health benefits of this alternative approach in curing physiological disorders are well publicized in medical journals, thus many consider it as an integral aspect for the new frontier in medical science.
A lot of people are turning to meditation as a means to rid themselves off of physiologic disorders and diseases. This can be highly attributed to the technological advancements in brain scanning activities which have emerged during recent years. Studies have shown remarkable changes in people who have tried out various types of meditative disciplines. A lot of these people, specifically benefited through the practice of Yoga. Yoga is a discipline which goes hand-in-hand with achieving a meditative state, it goes without saying that people who religiously practice this area experience positive changes in their lives.
Listed below are significant changes which were noted in people with the following physiological and psychological disorders. Medical procedures which measure brain wave activities and patterns were the gold-standard for evaluating the difference among subjects. Additional analyses were made using behavioral test procedures, and served as an adjunct to further evaluate the positive outcomes.
- Asthma patients who practice meditation through Yoga report decreased attacks even when subjected to unavoidable precipitating factors. This is achieved because these subjects are able to masterfully synchronize their bodily functions with their mental activities.
- People who experience anxiety disorders find Yoga as a means of relaxation and restfulness. This does not only apply to the response of the body to anxiety, but also positively affects the reaction of the mind towards unpleasant situations and events which trigger stress and anxiety.
- Older population who employ meditative techniques, find that their memory and cognitive processes have significantly improved. Regular practice of these techniques has proven to sharpen the senses, and has made them more aware of the things in their surroundings.
- Patients who fell victims of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder find inner peace and reduced tension once they started utilizing Yoga as a meditative process in their everyday life.
- Patients who use meditation as a means of attaining relaxation during the post-operative phase experience faster healing process compared to those who did not employ any relaxation or stress-reducing techniques.
These are just some well-known benefits which are derived from learning and mastering the craft of meditation. However significant these positive changes are in their lives, there are also cases where people were not able to achieve their goals through meditative techniques.
There are a lot of factors to consider when measuring the efficiency of this discipline, and the only guarantee which it assures is that further health benefits can be achieved if they are to be employed asadjunct to traditional medical procedures and therapies.