It’s no secret that your mood can have a huge impact on your appetite. Take for example when you are feeling depressed or stressed — isn’t it comforting to stuff your face with a chunck of chocolate cake or tub of vanilla ice cream?
Certainly, altering your mood can help you dodge food cravings. No, you don’t have to pop a pill in your mouth because it is scientifically-proven that some essential oils can actually have a profound impact on one’s frame of mind. So in other words, it is possible for you to employ essential oils in curbing the appetite!
Here are some essential oils that can help ward off hunger pangs and ultimately help you shed off a few pounds:
- Bergamot essential oil. Its ability to soothe your mind can help stave off hunger that stems from stress.
- Peppermint essential oil. The minty smell is actually appetite-suppressing, and that’s why some people swear by the effectiveness of brushing their teeth with minty toothpaste to put an end to food craving.
- Ylang ylang essential oil. Smelling it can come in handy especially when you have high levels of stress and your mind is imploring you to reach for the most sugary and fatty treat around.
- Patchouli essential oil. Whenever your brain is screaming for food but your tummy isn’t, opt for this oil.
- Orange essential oil. Quickly, this essential oil can help lift your mood when you are depressed. It can come in handy especially if time and again you have proven that you’re an emotional eater.
- Lavender essential oil. Aside from zapping depression, this oil also helps calm you down when stressed.
So how should you use these essential oils? Whenever you are craving for something but you are quite sure that you are not hungry, reach for the bottle of the essential oil of your liking. Place a drop or two of it on a handkerchief and sniff. Taking a whiff of essential oil straight from its bottle is not recommendable. You see, exposure to oxygen can diminish the potency of any essential oil considerably and quickly.
You may also simply use a diffuser to benefit from the appetite-curbing properties of essential oils. This helps fill the room with its smell, making sure that you are constantly benefitting from it.
If you want to apply the essential oil of your choice on your skin, do so by first mixing it with carrier oil, like coconut oil or olive oil. Once diluted, you can apply a little of it on your chest or shoulder bones so that you may be able to have a whiff of it continuously, or also on the back of your hand which you may simply bring close to your nose.
By the way, aromatherapy experts suggest for you to smell the essential oil of your liking for no less than 5 minutes straight in order for it to help alter your mood and get rid of that pesky food craving.