Women who are planning on getting pregnant may want to consider tweaking their diet in order to increase their fertility rate. Yes, age as well as genetics can play a part in your fertility but what you eat can actually help you increase your fertility. Also, there are several diet tips that you should also consider following to increase your chances of getting pregnant. Here are some that can help you get that bundle of joy you’ve always wanted.
- Go for complex carbs. Bad carbohydrates that are usually found in cakes, white rice, cookies, and even white bread can be quickly transformed into blood sugar that can cause your insulin levels to spike. This in turn inhibits your ovulation. It would be better to go for good carbohydrates or complex carbs such as those found in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and beans as they help keep your insulin levels balanced thus increasing your chances of getting pregnant.
- Increase your omega-3s. Another trick to boosting your fertility rate is to increase your intake of omega-3s. This essential fatty acid aids in regulating your hormone production, boost your cervical mucus, and of course, promote fertility. Go for fish and seafoods for your dose of omega-3s.
- Skip trans fat. Trans fats, which are usually present in french fries, commercially baked snacks, and even some types of margarine, can only increase your insulin resistance. When there is resistance to your insulin, it will be harder for glucose to move into your cells. When your insulin levels are high, metabolic disturbances will be triggered which can affect your ovulation.
- Add foods rich in iron. Another tip that you should consider if you want to increase your fertility rate is to add foods that are high in iron into your diet. This way, your red blood cells will remain constant to avoid anemia which can affect your fertility.
- Choose the right sources for protein. Most of us get protein from red meat but try plant-based foods when it comes to protein for better results. What’s great about plant protein is that they usually come with healthy fats and they are relatively low in calorie content which is a plus for maintaining a healthy weight.
- Don’t forget to hydrate. Staying hydrated is important not just because you need to have enough water in your body but it will also help in producing more cervical mucus. The cervical mucus is necessary for the egg fertilization process so make sure that you get enough water in your body every day. Think 6 to 8 glasses of water per day or more depending on your level of activity.
- Reduce caffeine intake. There is nothing wrong with drinking coffee but too much can have an adverse effect on your health especially when you’re trying to get pregnant. Try to moderate your intake of caffeinated drinks to keep your fertility rate steady.
These diet tips are just for starters so if you really want to increase your chances of getting pregnant, try these tips out.