Our skin is constantly exposed to dirt, smoke, wind, sun, rain, and other elements which is why it is not really surprising that we end up with dry and dull skin that is parched for moisture. Unfortunately, the lack of proper skin care is one of the reasons why our skin becomes prone to signs of aging. If you are worried that your skin isn’t looking as smooth and supple as it was before, it is high time that you focus on bringing back moisture to your skin. How will you be able to do this? Well, here are some tips on moisturizing your skin.
- Lessen bath time. Taking long, hot showers can strip away the natural oils of your skin which is why you should limit it to just ten minutes. The bath water you should use should be cool as much as possible to minimize oil stripping. Afterwards, make sure that you apply moisturizer at least three minutes after taking a bath to ensure that the moisture remains in your skin.
- Apply moisturizer at the right time. Another way to keep your skin moist is to know when to apply moisturizer. For those who only apply moisturizer once a day, do so after getting out of the shower. Simply pat your skin dry then apply your choice of moisturizer while your skin is still damp. This will help your skin retain more water so that it will remain smooth and supple. You can also apply moisturizer before going to bed.
- Choose the right moisturizer. There are literally dozens of moisturizing creams to choose from nowadays which can be a bit daunting if you are looking for one that will be appropriate for your skin. If you have dry or oily skin, look for humectants because they can deliver water deep into your skin. Occlusive moisturizers like petroleum jelly and beeswax can stop water on the skin from evaporating while barrier-repair compound moisturizers are the ones that can repair the skin’s barrier so that there will be less moisture loss and damage to the skin.
- Use a humidifier. The cold season can rob your skin of its moisture. The good news though is that you can prevent this from happening by installing a humidifier in your home. The humidifier can keep the air inside your home moist so that your skin will be able to draw water from it. This will ensure that your skin remains smooth, supple, and naturally glowing.
- Make your own face masks. Keeping your face moist and smooth doesn’t have to entail a high price because you can make your own masks to rehydrate your skin. You can use ingredients that you’ll find in your kitchen to nourish your skin or you can use a simple honey and brown sugar mask to remove dead skin cells.
- Don’t forget your eyes, neck, and chest areas. Although we regularly apply moisturizer all over our body, the areas around the eyes, neck, and chest area need more moisture. This is due to the fact that the skin in these areas are thinner compared to others so they tend to wrinkle as we age. By applying more moisturizer, you will be able to stop signs of aging from appearing too soon.
There are many ways to ensure that your skin remains moist and supple no matter how busy your schedule is. Keep in mind that your skin needs to be nourished all the time if you want to retain that youthful glow. With the tips mentioned above, you won’t have to worry about looking older than your years because you’ll look stunning with moist and smooth skin.