Wrinkles, sagging skin, and fine lines are just a few examples of signs of aging that many are trying to prevent as much as possible. Most look for a beauty regimen that will keep their skin smooth, supple, and younger looking but there are some habits that are actually speeding up the aging process without you knowing about it.
For those who are wondering what beauty habits we follow that are actually causing wrinkles, here are some to take note of.
- Wrong sleeping position. Sleep is important when it comes to keeping our skin in good condition which is why health experts recommend that you get up to 8 hours of sleep per day. However, it’s not just the quality of your sleep that can help maintain the suppleness of your skin but your sleeping position too. If you often sleep on your belly or on your side, you are actually squishing your face on your pillow which can damage the collagen on your skin thus causing wrinkles to appear. Sleeping on your back, therefore, is considerably better and if you can, switch to satin pillow cases to prevent scratching your skin.
- Heavy drinking. For those who often go to parties and drinking booze until you can no longer stand it, you are actually putting yourself in harm’s way. Alcohol can cause rapid aging as it reduces the vitamin A in your body which can affect collagen production. And when there is little to no collagen being produced, your skin will start to look dull and old with wrinkles and sagging skin appearing. What’s more, alcoholic beverages are actually diuretics which mean they can make you dehydrated which is also bad for your skin.
- Forgetting to use sunscreen. If you think that skipping applying sunscreen whenever you go out is alright, think again. Sunscreens that have high SPFs can actually protect your vulnerable skin against the UV rays that are coming from the sun. Without it, you are actually exposing your skin to damage that can cause wrinkles and other signs of aging to appear.
- You often indulge in sweets. Eating sweets for snacks or desserts can satisfy your sweet tooth to be sure but it is also damaging your skin. The sugar molecules found in your dessert can actually bind themselves to your tissues through glycation. This in turn causes more harmful molecules floating in your bloodstream which can affect elastin and collagen production.
- Not removing makeup before going to bed. This is probably the worst thing that you can do to your skin. Wearing makeup does enhance your beauty but forgetting about removing it can have harmful effects to your skin such as making wrinkles appear. Regardless of how tired you are, always make it a point to remove your makeup before hitting the sack.
- Hot showers. There is nothing wrong with taking a hot shower after a long day at work but taking one that is too long isn’t really a good idea. The hot water can actually strip your skin of its natural oils which can leave it exposed to various elements that speed up aging. A better option is to relax in lukewarm water to help ease the knots in your muscles while preventing dryness from occurring.
If you want to be able to protect your skin against wrinkles, dryness, as well as other signs of aging, correcting these habits of yours immediately is important. This way, you’ll be able to nourish your skin so that you won’t suffer from premature signs of aging.