The skin is the biggest organ in your body but a lot of people often forget to care for it as they would do their hair. Your skin plays an important role in your body that it is actually quite surprising to find how necessary it is for us to care for it as much as possible. You might think that skin care is difficult or expensive but this is not always so. As a matter of fact, there are cheaper not to mention effective ways to improve your skin condition such as those below.
- Keep an eye on your diet. What you eat plays a role on how healthy your skin will turn out. If you want to improve your skin’s condition, fill your plate with vegetables, fruits, lean meat, and whole grains because they contain essential nutrients that your body needs to keep your skin young and healthy looking. Although there is little research conducted on the link between food and skin, health experts agree that watching what you eat can have positive effects on your skin.
- Avoid smoking. Everyone knows how damaging smoking is not only to the lungs but to the heart as well but did you know that aside from these two, smoking can also have a negative effect on your skin? When you smoke, your blood vessels become narrow which inhibits blood flow. When this happens, the oxygen in your skin becomes diminished which affects the amount of nutrients that your skin gets. Also, smoking can damage your skin’s elastin and collagen which cause your skin to look older.
- Soaps are not equal. You probably love getting in the shower and scrubbing yourself clean or doing a long soak in the tub. Although this helps get rid of dead skin cells, there are some types of soaps that can cause more harm than good. Harsh soaps and detergents can irritate your skin as well as remove the natural oils that keep your skin smooth and supple.
- Treat your skin. Looking for softer soaps is all well and good but there are other ways to show your skin some TLC. One way to do this is to apply moisturizing lotion all over your body to reduce damage and dryness.
- Minimize stress. Who would have thought that stress can have an adverse effect on your skin? High levels of stress can cause your acne to break out. This is one of the reasons why health experts suggest that you find ways to reduce your stress levels whether it is by physical exertion or meditation.
- Wear sunscreen and other protection. Going out in the morning is all well and good but you need to make sure that you protect your skin against the sun. The UV rays being emitted by the skin can cause your skin to darken while damaging it at the cellular level. The best way to combat this is to wear sunscreen lotion as well as clothing that is light on the body but can deter the UV rays from penetrating your skin.