Dry, itchy scalp can be quite uncomfortable and frustrating especially when you just have to scratch your head even in public. Add to this the flakes that fall down on your shoulders which can be visible especially when you’re wearing something dark in color and you know you just need to take control of the situation before things get worse. Fortunately, treating your dry and itchy scalp can be done using natural remedies such as the ones below.
- Avocado and banana. If the itching that you are suffering from is caused by excessive dry scalp, you will need to take steps to nourish as well as moisturize your scalp. A good combination for this is avocado and banana which have properties that can help soothe the itch while moisturizing your dry scalp. All that you have to do is to mash the bananas and avocados together to create a paste then apply it on your hair and scalp. Leave it on for half an hour then rinse afterwards. You can apply it before taking a bath so you can rinse it with cold water while in the shower.
- Lemon juice. Another solution to itchy and dry scalp is lemon juice because it has antiseptic properties than can treat dandruff. You need to apply freshly squeezed lemon juice on your scalp and leave it on for about 5 minutes then shampoo your hair afterwards. If you don’t have dandruff, you can dilute your lemon juice in water before applying on your scalp. You can also mix lemon juice with yogurt before applying on your scalp. Wash after a few minutes using mild shampoo. This treatment should be done every day until your scalp problem is alleviated.
- Sesame seed oil. If you are dealing with excessive dryness, you will find the sesame seed oil to be quite helpful to your situation. Just apply the oil on your scalp and massage it thoroughly so that your entire scalp is covered with it. Cover your hair with a shower cap or hot towel and leave it overnight. Shampoo and rinse in the morning.
- Aloe vera. This home remedy is guaranteed to be effective in treating your itchy and dry scalp without causing any side effects. The gel of the aloe has soothing properties that can relieve you of the itch fairly quickly. It also has antibacterial properties that can get rid of any bacteria that may be causing scalp issues. Just harvest the gel from the leaves of the aloe and apply on your scalp. Let it set for 20 to 30 minutes then rinse afterwards.
- Tea tree oil. You should also use tea tree oil when it comes to treating dry scalp because it has anti-inflammation, antifungal, and antibacterial properties that are quite effective in treating dry and itchy scalp. There are many ways to use this treatment such as adding 10 to 20 drops of the oil in half a cup of baby shampoo and use it on your scalp on a daily basis to treat dry scalp. You can also add 2 to 3 drops of tea tree oil to a tablespoon of vegetable oil then massage this on your scalp. Within a week or two, you will notice a considerable difference to your scalp.