Eating healthy doesn’t always have to mean that your going to go for bland tasting foods because even the most uninteresting ingredient can be used in a way that will make your mouth water and your belly full. If you are trying to lose weight or are maintaining your current weight, you’re probably using salad as one of your go to foods on those days when you a snack that will answer your cravings. Just because you are tossing different vegetables together, it doesn’t mean that your salad should be uninspired because there are steps that you need to take to come up with the perfect salad for your dinner table. Here are the steps that you need to follow.
- Consider your base. The base of any salad is usually dark, leafy greens so think along the lines of kale, lettuce, arugula, cabbage, spinach, and pea shoots. Layer them at the bottom of your bowl. What’s great about using greens as the base of your salad is that they are high in vitamins A, C, K, fiber, and a whole lot more.
- Add something crunchy. Texture is something you should consider when preparing a salad as you wouldn’t want to eat soft leaves all the time. That extra crunch can come from carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, apples, sprouts, croutons, and bell pepper just to name a few. The colors of these ingredients are also worth taking note of if you want to mix and match the contents of your salad.
- Choose your grains. There are times when we feel hungry after eating salad so if you want to avoid that extra eating session because you are trying to tone down your food consumption, try adding grains to your salad. The carbohydrates that these grains contain can increase your energy levels. Quinoa is a good choice as it is packed with fiber and essential nutrients that your body needs plus it is quite flavorful too.
- Think something soft. Aside from adding that extra crunch to your salad, you will never go wrong with adding ingredients that are soft. Cheese, tomatoes, olives, rice, avocado, and roasted sweet potatoes are just a few examples of soft foods that you can add to your salad for that extra texture and flavor. For sure, you will love how your salad is starting to look with these ingredients.
- Add some protein. A salad won’t be complete without the presence of foods that contain proteins. Proteins help make our belly feel full plus it can help with muscle development. Grill some chicken breast and slice them before adding to your salad for a healthy source of protein. You can also opt for some salmon for that much needed omega-3s in your system if you like.
As you can see, preparing a salad requires careful thinking especially when you’re trying to eat healthy and right. Once you have mastered these steps, you’ll probably be coming up with different types of salads to go with your dinner for a more satisfying meal.