There is nothing so frustrating than to wake up with a zit forming on your face and in the most inopportune moment. Hiding it with a concealer is possible but not when your acne breakout is quite severe. There are many factors that can contribute to the appearance of acne from your genes, to your lifestyle, stress, even your diet too.
If you’re going to take a look at your current diet, chances are it is rich in calorie laden foods that can be the source of acne. Think of all the greasy food that you’ve been taking out from fast food chains and restaurants. Fortunately, by making some changes to your diet, you will be able to keep acne breakouts at bay. Here are some foods that you can add to your diet if you want to keep your skin pimple free.
- Green leafy vegetables. There is no denying the power of eating vegetables to your skin. Eating vegetables like spinach, kale, broccoli, cucumber, lettuce, and the like can actually help prevent pimples from forming because they are packed with antioxidants, fiber, vitamins, and minerals that can help flush toxins from your body and prevent buildup of oil and sweat on your skin. Not only that, they can help nourish your skin so that it will remain smooth and healthy all the time.
- Orange juice. Orange juice may have a bad reputation to some because of its sugar content but it does help hydrate your body especially after an intense workout or when you’re sweating a lot. This beverage also contains high amounts of vitamin C which can prevent free radicals from damaging your skin cells. This also helps keep acne at bay which is a good enough reason to add this to your diet.
- Skip the dairy. If you are a fan of eating dairy products, you might want to reconsider your love of it because they can trigger acne. Dairy contains high amounts of sugar which isn’t really good for your skin. On a good note, dairy does contain certain minerals that are needed by your body like calcium and fiber which means you don’t really need to stop taking dairy completely. Consuming dairy in moderate amounts is much better.
- Almonds. Another food that can help prevent pimples from forming is almonds. This particular nut contains high amounts of vitamin E which provides protection for your skin against the harsh rays of the sun. Take note, however, that you still need to apply sunscreen when stepping outside. Think of almonds as a second line of defense when it comes to keeping pimples at bay.
- Reduce alcohol intake. It’s okay to indulge in alcoholic drinks every once in a while but if you are a frequent drinker, you shouldn’t wonder why you have so many pimples scattered all over your place. Alcoholic beverages contain compounds that can actually trigger acne and because it is a diuretic, your body is losing moisture because the volume of water in your body is becoming depleted. This also adds to the formation of acne which can actually be prevented if you minimize or avoid drinking alcohol.
- Oily fish. Don’t forget to add fish to your diet like tuna and salmon because they contain heart healthy fatty acids that your body needs in order to keep diseases at bay. This also includes keeping your skin blemish free.
These are just a few examples of foods that can do wonders for your skin. If you want to avoid waking up with acne all over your face, a change in your diet is definitely a must.