The skin is designed to be the body’s first line of defense. One of the most usual causes of dry skin is the lack of proper hydration. Dry skin can be identified once rough and scaly patches on the different parts of the body such as the legs, back, arms or waist are visible or can be felt. Itchiness could also be a consequence of dry skin which can lead to the danger of scratching, breaking the skin, infection, and finally, an unwanted scar.
In order to eradicate the dead dry skin, moisture must be locked in. With the advent of technology, there are already countless of skin products which can help provide and maintain a moisturized skin. Aside from using technology and different skin products in eliminating dry skin, here are five quick and easy remedies that can be done at home in combatting dry skin:
- It is already dermatologically tested that the thicker the moisturizer is, the more efficient it is in providing moisture for dry skin. Watery and scented lotions are the least useful in getting rid of dry skin. The cheapest weapon that can be used for dry skin is petroleum jelly. If petroleum jelly is too thick and greasy, warming it in your hands can make it spread easier.
- Moisturize while damp. The best time to apply moisturizers in the face and body is after shower, when the skin is still damp and the moisture can be effectively locked in.
- Coconut Oil. Coconut oil is known to be one of the best ways to quickly treat dry skin. It is rich in fatty acids that are good for moisturizing the skin. Simply apply coconut oil generously on the affected area after taking a shower while the skin is still damp or before going to sleep and leave it overnight.
- Studies show that milk has an anti-inflammatory property which can help drive itchiness away. Milk also has the ability to soothe skin and some contains lactic acid which can be helpful to the skin. All you need to do is to dip a clean cloth in a bowl of milk then apply it in the affected area and leave it for 5 minutes. This way, the itchiness and the tendency of scratching can be minimized.
- Yogurt, with its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory characteristics which can help soothe dryness and itchiness, can be an excellent hydrating agent. The exfoliation property of yogurt can remove dry skin and leave the skin feeling refreshed. Simply apply yogurt into the dry parts of the body and leave it untouched for 10 minutes before washing it with cold water.
If these simple home remedies are still of no avail to your dry skin, it is best to see a dermatologist.