Did you know that the splendid fragrances of some essential oils out there are capable of combating mild cases of depression? Taking a whiff of them is usually enough to take you back to good spirits.
The next time you are at a local or an online health food or herbal store, get your hands on any or some of the following scientifically-proven mood-lifting essential oils:
- Bergamot. Aside from depression, it’s also excellent at reducing stress, anxiety and even pain.
- Frankincense. It’s also known to be very handy each time you are feeling nervous or worried.
- Geranium. This essential oil is very good against depression as well as anxiety.
- Jasmine. It’s very popular for its ability to lift the mood and relieve muscle cramps and spasms.
- Lemon. One sniff and it’s easy to tell that this essential oil is capable of making you smile.
- Marjoram. For centuries now, this is used for managing depression, anxiety and stress.
- Lavender. You can count on this not only when you are depressed, but also having a bout of insomnia.
- Sandalwood. It’s also very good at promoting a good night’s sleep.
- Ylang ylang. Possessing a really pleasing fragrance, it’s a superb mood-lifter and anxiety-buster.
- Patchouli. Many swear by the effectiveness of this essential oil in combating depression and anxiety.
- Sweet marjoram. It’s capable of making you feel happy when down, and relaxed when stressed.
- Clary sage. This essential oil is well-known as a superb all-natural remedy for mood problems.
- Basil. Because it has a very uplifting fragrance, it’s no wonder why it’s great for depression.
By the way, make sure that the essential oil you are eyeing is therapeutic grade. This means that it’s actually the volatile oil of its source flower, seed, fruit or leaf, and not just mineral oil with added synthetic fragrance.
So how can you employ the any of the above essential oils to lift your mood? Well, you can try any of these:
- Massage a drop of it on the back of your hand and take a whiff
- Place a drop or two on your handkerchief and place it over your nose
- Dilute a few drops in your favorite carrier oil and use as massage oil
- Mix with your choice of carrier oil and light up your diffuser
- Place a few drops in your bathwater and immerse there for several minutes
Feeling down for several days, and you also have no energy as well as interest in the things you used to love? Make sure that you talk to your doctor about it.