When talking about seaweed, the first thing that will most likely pop in your head is the underwater plants that cling to your legs when you go swimming out in the open. Another one is that green salad that is used to wrap sushi with. But aside from these two, health experts are actually recommending that you include seaweed in your diet. Here are some reasons why you should.
- Regulates hormones. Research suggests that eating seaweed can help regulate your estradiol and estrogen levels. These two hormones are needed for the function as well as growth of your sexual organs and if they are not properly regulated, there are various health issues that may arise. Aside from regulating these two hormones, seaweed is found to be useful when it comes to reducing one’s risk of getting breast cancer as well as other diseases that are dependent on estrogen.
- Combats lymphoma. Fucoidian, a compound that is found to be useful in fighting cancer, is present in seaweed. This compound can provide you with protection against viruses, cell damage, and infection. What’s more, fucoidian is found to contain anticarcinogenic and antitumor properties which is why adding seaweed to your list of things to eat is a must.
- Boost thyroid health. For those who are having problem with their thyroid, eating seaweed is a must because it contains plenty of iodine that is essential for your thyroid health. Your thyroid plays an important role in your overall health because it is responsible for hormone regulation. If your thyroid gland is not working properly, you can experience muscle weakness, difficulty in bringing your weight down, fatigue, high cholesterol levels, heart palpitations, poor memory, and even goiters just to name a few. By eating seaweed, it will be easier for you to maintain your thyroid health.
- Weight loss. Do you want to get your weight down? Well, seaweed is a good place to start because aside from its numerous anti-cancer properties and compounds to help regulate your hormones, seaweed is also found to be effective in weight loss. Eating brown seaweed is found to be useful in your quest to lose weight thanks to the compound fucoxanthin which is responsible in reducing fat that you have accumulated.
- Better heart health. Seaweed packs plenty of fatty acids, fiber, and protein which are responsible for keeping your heart in the best of health. Fatty acids are responsible for reducing inflammation, proteins for reducing blood pressure, and fiber for longer life even after suffering from heart attack. Seaweed actually contains three of the most important nutrients that your body will need for better heart.
These are just a few reasons why adding seaweed to your diet is recommended. With these benefits in mind, there is simply no reason why you shouldn’t eat this food. If you are looking for a way to reduce your weight or want to improve your overall health, this is the perfect superfood to eat.