Headaches occur from time to time and can range from mild to severe depending on what triggers is it. Stress, hunger, hormonal changes, and even certain medications are just a few factors that can cause headaches. Although most of us leave our headache run its course, for those whose headache is bordering on the severe, seeking medications is their solution. The good news is that there are other alternatives out there to consider when it comes to alleviating your headache and here are some of those solutions that you should try out.
- Consider nuts. Popping pills may help relieve the symptoms of headache but it won’t solve the root of the problem. Eating nuts, on the other hand, can help alleviate tension headaches. It works like a pain reliever because of salicin present in the nuts. Eat a handful of almonds when you feel the ache starting in.
- Water. Now, why didn’t I think about this? Most of us ignore the simplicity of drinking water to alleviate that throbbing headache. Chances are your headache is caused by lack of liquids in your body. Have you drank water lately?
- Apple cider vinegar steam. Another solution to that stubborn headache of yours is to make an apple cider vinegar steam. Apple cider vinegar is well known for its myriad of health benefits and one of them is that it can relieve your headache. For this treatment, you will need ¼ cup of ACV, a cup of fresh cool water, and about 3 cups of boiling water. Place the hot water in a large bowl and add your apple cider vinegar in it. Mix it a bit then cover your head with a towel and lean over the bowl. Inhale and exhale as you let the steam wash over you for 10 minutes. Pat yourself dry with your towel. Drink a glass of water afterwards to help hydrate you.
- Peppermint oil. You should also try peppermint oil when your headache is difficult to bear. Massage this oil on your temples, on your forehead, as well as the back of your jaw to help reduce the pounding in your head. Peppermint is known to boost blood flow which can reduce the severity of headaches.
- Exercise. Although workingout is the last thing that you want to do when you have a headache, doing light to moderate exercises can help ease the pain in your head. Take your exercise outdoors where the fresh air can help lessen your headache. Working out regularly is found to help combat the onset of headaches as your blood is flowing properly. Just make sure that you warm up and cool down properly to avoid injuring yourself or triggering headache.
These are just a few examples of remedies that can help you get rid of that headache you’ve been nursing for some time now. Try to solve this problem with these alternative solutions first before taking any medications to reduce your reliance on pills or tablets to alleviate the pain.