According to scientists, indulging in dark chocolate from time to time is a fantastic idea. That’s because the decadent treat is packed with active compounds that can offer a bunch of health perks, ranging from lowered blood pressure, lifted mood and reduced risk of cancer. Dark chocolate is also amazing for the skin!
This is exactly the reason why many spas these days offer chocolate masks. The said treatment lets all of the beneficial components of dark chocolate delivered straight to the skin cells, which means instant and dramatic results!
Here are some of the reasons why chocolate can help make your skin look and feel so unforgettable:
- Powerful antioxidants in chocolates deactivate free radicals that can damage healthy cells of the skin. Because of this, the unstoppable aging of the skin can be slowed down, allowing you to appear youthful longer.
- All the flavonoids, which are beneficial plant pigments, in chocolate help promote blood circulation to the skin. As a result, the skin cells are supplied with more oxygen and nutrients.
- In addition, increased blood flow delivers more water molecules to the skin cells. We all know the sheer importance of hydrating the skin for the attainment of soft, smooth and young-looking complexion!
- Various minerals in chocolate such as iron, manganese, zinc and copper help encourage the repair and renewal of skin cells, which is something that allows you to constantly look healthy and glowing.
- Some vitamins found in the lavish treat provide exceptional skin benefits, such as vitamins A and E. Both of these nutrients have antioxidant as well as moisturizing properties.
- Chocolate also helps shield the skin from the sun. It’s no secret that unnecessary exposure to the damaging UV rays given off by the sun can speed up the aging process as well as put you at risk of having skin cancer!
So should you reach for a bar of milk chocolate, melt it in the microwave and spread it on your face to enjoy the skin perks mentioned above? Not really. It’s important to note that these benefits can be obtained if you use dark chocolate only, which packs a lot of the valuable contents of cacao or cocoa beans from which chocolate is derived.
Everyone knows that some of the best dark chocolate options on the current market do not come cheap. However, this does not necessarily mean that you should be willing to end up broke just to look marvelous.
It’s actually possible for you to regularly benefit from the use of chocolate mask without spending tons of money. Such can be done with the help of cocoa powder — the closest thing to cacao or cocoa beans! In other words, it’s possible for you to experience a deluxe face treatment right in your kitchen!
Logging on the internet, you will find tons of chocolate mask recipes. However, some of the best ones are the simplest. Nothing can be simpler than this particular recipe:
- 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of plain yogurt
- In a small mixing bowl, combine cocoa powder, honey and plain yogurt.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly until you come up with something that looks like melted chocolate.
- Wash your face with mild soap and water to get rid of dirt and excess oils, and then pat dry.
- Apply your homemade chocolate mask all over your face, carefully avoiding your eyes and lips.
- Let the yummy-smelling mask stay there for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and then pat dry.
Expensive spa treatment without leaving your home or ending up with an empty pocket! Do this luxurious beauty regimen once or twice a week to look amazing!