You probably have some cinnamon spice stored in your spice rack which you use occasionally such as in your coffee or in the meals that you cook without really being aware of the numerous benefits that you can gain from it. What benefits can you gain from using cinnamon? Here are some that are worth mentioning.
- Packed with antioxidants. The antioxidants that are found in cinnamon are useful because they help protect your body against damage from free radicals. Among the antioxidants that are present in cinnamon include polyphenols which are quite powerful. Because of the strength of the antioxidants found in cinnamon, this spice is often used as food preservative.
- Reduce risk of heart disease. Studies have discovered a link between reduced risk of heart disease and cinnamon. Heart diseases are one of the world’s main causes of death. Those who are diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes have improved blood markers when they consume a gram of cinnamon daily because the spice lowers cholesterol levels.
- Reduce blood sugar levels. Aside from having a positive effect on resistance to insulin, cinnamon is also found to be effective in lowering one’s blood sugar levels.
- Protection against cancer. This spice has been studied for years now to determine whether it is effective in preventing as well as treating cancer. Although the experiments are limited to test tubes and lab animals, the results show that cinnamon extracts can provide protection against the disease. It works by reducing cancer cells that are growing as well as prevent blood vessels from forming in the tumors.
- Contains anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation occurs in the body when it is fighting off infections or repairing damaged tissues but prolonged inflammation can be a problem. The good news is that cinnamon contains anti-inflammatory properties which can help reduce any inflammation in the body to put it back to its natural state.
- Relief for migraines. Migraines can be debilitating for some people but this doesn’t always have to be especially when you can use cinnamon spice to prevent it from kicking in. This spice has been found to be quite effective against migraines thanks to its painkiller-like abilities. And because cinnamon is considerably cheaper compared to buying medications for your migraines, it is better that you go for natural remedies.
- Boost immune system. Did you know that cinnamon can actually help boost your immune system? If you find yourself susceptible to even the common colds, adding cinnamon to your daily diet can help give your immune system the boost it needs to provide you with ample amount of protection to fight off common ailments.
Combats fungal and bacterial infections. Cinnamon contains cinnamaldehyde which is its active component that is known to fight off any kinds of infection. The oil of this spice is found to be quite useful in treating infections in the respiratory system that are caused by fungi. Also, this spice is found to be effective in preventing the growth of certain types of bacteria like salmonella.