Sleep is important for us as it is during this stage of inactivity does our body begin to repair itself. However, there are times when we can’t get the right amount of sleep because of work or going out with family and friends which, unfortunately, can make us feel sluggish the next day. Stress can also hinder our sleep which is why it is always a good idea to look for ways to improve your sleep. If you want to get a good night’s sleep, you might want to try these five essential oils so that you’ll drift off to a more relaxed and restful sleep.
- Roman chamomile. What’s great about this essential oil is that it has a light scent and can help you relax easily. You can diffuse some of the oil in your bedroom or dilute some in a carrier oil before adding a few drops to your feet before going to bed. Other ways to use this essential oil is to add it to your moisturizer, shampoo, or even conditioner for that matter.
- Frankincense. Another essential oil that can help improve your sleep is frankincense. Also referred to as, “King of Oils”, frankincense can induce that feeling of relaxation, peace, and calm which are what you need in order to get some good night’s sleep. You can use a diffuser to spread its scent or inhale some before going to bed so that you will be able to fall asleep easily.
- Orange. Tossing and turning at night? You might be feeling stressed. Stress can certainly affect your sleep because your mind is in overdrive and you just can’t get to that calm state of mind to drift of to dreamland. Fortunately, you can use citrus oils like orange to help reduce your stress levels. Use this oil before going to bed especially when you want to apply it on your skin. You can dilute it first with carrier oil before applying on your skin or diffuse some of the oil so you can inhale its scent as you lie in bed.
- Patchouli. This herb falls under the mint family and can be easily spotted because it has that musky-sweet smell. This oil is commonly used in many scented products as well as perfume. Another reason why this is a good choice for helping you get some rest is because it has calming and relaxing properties which can make you fall asleep fast without feeling restless in bed.
- Lavender. Of course, when it comes to essential oils for sleeping, lavender will always make the list. Lavender has some of the most amazing sleep-inducing properties which is why it is often recommended to those who are having trouble getting some sleep. You can massage some on your skin before bed time, add it to your bath water, diffuse it in your bedroom, or add a few drops on your pillow so you can inhale its scent as you sleep.