Thanks to our metabolism, the food that we eat is constantly broken down to supply us with energy. The speed in which it works depends mostly on our age, sex, weight, and current level of activity. When we were young, our metabolism often runs smoothly which is why we tend to burn most of the food that we eat, but as we reach the age of 30s, it slows down. This makes it harder for us to loose those stubborn fats in our body. Fortunately, there are steps that you can take, which are all backed by science, to help boost your metabolism. Among these are:
- Get enough sleep. You might think that sleep doesn’t have anything to do with weight gain but it actually does. When you are not getting enough sleep, your body will need more food to sustain its energy levels which means that you might be eating more than your metabolism can handle. Also, letting your body rest or go into a short hibernation can help jump start your metabolism for the following day.
- Add protein. Another trick to boost your metabolism is to add protein every time you eat. Protein requires more energy for it to be digseted which is actually good in terms of your metabolism. However, this may mean eating quite a lot of protein which can have some repurcussions to your health if you are not too careful. A better option would be to mix carbohydrates, fats, and lean protein with most of your meals to help keep your metabolism running.
- Increase workout intensity. You will never go wrong with increasing the intensity of your workout program to boost your metabolism. If you are still following that slow and steady exercise, you are not giving your muscles the challenge they need to really burn those calories. Short bursts of intensity such as in the case of HIITs or High Intensity Interval Training is worth trying out as it will make your heart rate go up which in turn can improve your metabolism.
- Ease up on fried foods and sweet treats. Most of us are guilty when it comes to eating foods that are not really good for our health but it is never too late to change. If you want to speed up your metabolism, you will need to learn not to indulge too much on fried stuff as well as those sweets that will make your toes curl. Look for healthier options instead like fruits and steamed vegetables and fish for more vitamins and minerals.
- Add some spice to your life. Another trick that has been found to be quite effective when it comes to speeding up one’s metabolism is to add some spices to your meals. Chili powder, cayenne, paprika, cinnamon, and others can help elevate your heart rate when consumed which can help give your metabolism a boost.
These are just a few science backed tips on how to get your metabolism up and running. This way, you will see some serious pounds disappearing in no time.