Ear aches can happen from time to time. Some are triggered by an infection or medication while others are due to injuries. Although the pain and discomfort can prevent us from functioning fully, you don’t have to resort to taking antibiotics all the time. As a matter of fact, you can treat ear aches using natural remedies such as the ones below.
- Cold or warm compresses. One way to reduce the discomfort of ear ache is to apply cold or warm compress against the affected ear. You can alternate cold and hot every 10 minutes to relieve you of the pain or just stick to one depending on your preferences. You will find that the pain is lessened afterwards.
- Garlic. Aside from adding flavor to your meals, garlic has also been found to be useful when it comes to treating ear aches. One reason behind this is that garlic has antibacterial properties that can eliminate any sources of infection in your ear. You can crush some garlic cloves and put them in a small clean cloth and use it to stuff your ear with. Leave it there for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Tea tree oil. Another possible home remedy that you can use for your ear ache is tea tree oil. This particular oil is packed with antibacterial, antiseptic, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties that can treat the source of the pain in your ear. If you are a bit sensitive to this kind of treatment, you can mix tea tree oil with olive oil before putting a few drops in your affected ear.
- Onion juice. You can also use onion juice to address any ear problems that you have as it contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. First, you will need to pre-heat your oven and bake some onions for 15 minutes. Let them cool before extracting the juice. Use a dropper to gather the onion juice and apply on your infected ear. Make sure that you tilt your head sideways to help the liquid to go inside your ear.
- Hydrogen peroxide. Another possible solution to ear aches is using hydrogen peroxide. All that you have to do is put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in your ear and let it sit for a few minutes. Drain the liquid afterwards by tilting your head towards the affected ear. Make sure that you rinse the insides of your ear afterwards.
- Apple cider vinegar. This list of home remedies won’t be complete without apple cider vinegar as this solution can help address any ear issue that you may be having. To use this natural treatment, you will need to lie on your side with the affected ear exposed. Have someone add a few drops of this vinegar into your ear and put a cotton ball to stop the liquid from spilling. Stay in this position for a few minutes to allow the vinegar to go deep into your ear canal to reduce any aches or pains that you may be experiencing.