Meal bowls are trending nowadays which is not surprising given that you can create a well-balanced meal in just one bowl. It’s actually good for those who are trying to cut back on their food consumption or want to eat a healthier meal. Power bowls can contain all the nutrients that you are looking for and because it is just a single serving, you can minimize the calories that you are consuming.
For those who are want to prepare a vegetarian power bowl, here are the steps that you should follow.
- Choose your vegetables. The first thing that should go on the base of your bowl is your veggies. You can opt for steamed greens or throw in the occasional cauliflower or broccoli if you want to add texture to your meal. Think of what you want to go in your vegetable bowl and pile them on the bottom of the bowl.
- Think of your grain. A well-balanced diet must contain healthy carbohydrates which you can get from choosing whole grains. The good news is that there is no shortage of options at this point because you have quinoa, farro, couscous, wild or brown rice, amaranth, and barley just to name a few. These options can help settle in your belly for hours and can even clean up your digestive system in the process. You can also throw in some sweet potatoes or even yam for complex carbohdyrates.
- Protein matters. The next step in building your vegetarian power bowl is to throw in some proteins into the mix. Protein should always make an appearance in your daily diet as it plays a huge role in your overall health. For one thing, it helps provide you with energy. Also, protein can help repair and maintain your muscles which is necessary especially if you are working out. Your muscles need protein to fix the damaged tissues so that they will become stronger and bigger in the process. Tofu, lentils, chicken strips, and even quinoa fit the bill.
- Healthy fats help. Not all fats are bad for you because the monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are good for you as they regulate your blood pressure and insulin levels. They are also known to reduce one’s cholesterol levels so you won’t be at risk from heart problems. You can add avocados, olive oil, hemp seeds, or even tahini to your bowl to get these fats.
- Combine everything. When all the essential ingredients are added to your bowl, you can combine them all by mixing them up together. The best thing about making your vegetarian bowl is that you have plenty of control on what goes in so don’t hesitate to experiment.
As you can see, vegetarian bowls are quite easy to make. Even those leftover veggies and chicken that you have in your fridge can be used for your power bowl and because it is packed with healthy ingredients, you will feel full in no time.